Dr. Tim's waste away sticks.. any good?

derrick80f

Hey all.. I have algae and decided to get one of those Dr. Tims algae sticks to take care of it. The guy at the fish store said it worked well, but I have had mine in the tank for a good while now and nothing is happening. Yes, the plastic is off of it. Lol.. anyone have any idea whats going on?
20221024_071329.jpg

I haven't tried these yet. My understanding was the sticks are to eliminate sludge and hidden wastes and should be used as maintenance after you eliminate the source of the algae and the algae itself to prevent the algae from coming back.

I recently used Dr. Tim's Cyanobacteria Bundle to try to deal with a cyano problem and a little bit of hair algae. I will say, after the treatment, my water is much more clear. It also eliminated the hair algae completely and knocked back the cyano. It didn't completely eliminate the cyano but did reduce it significantly. The remaining cyano is only in low light / low flow areas of my tank. So, I think if I can increase the flow in my tank I might get rid of the cyano completely.

All that said, I plan to add these sticks as ongoing maintenance to reduce sludge in the sand bed and other wastes.

I haven't tried these yet. My understanding was the sticks are to eliminate sludge and hidden wastes and should be used as maintenance after you eliminate the source of the algae and the algae itself to prevent the algae from coming back.

I recently used Dr. Tim's Cyanobacteria Bundle to try to deal with a cyano problem and a little bit of hair algae. I will say, after the treatment, my water is much more clear. It also eliminated the hair algae completely and knocked back the cyano. It didn't completely eliminate the cyano but did reduce it significantly. The remaining cyano is only in low light / low flow areas of my tank. So, I think if I can increase the flow in my tank I might get rid of the cyano completely.

All that said, I plan to add these sticks as ongoing maintenance to reduce sludge in the sand bed and other wastes.
Thanks.. I appreciate the info. As I mentioned, the guy at the fish store assured me this would work as a full treatment for the tank, however it doesn't appear as if any has been released as it is supposed to time release daily. I guess I need something else to combat it.

Ah, I understand now. You're wondering why it doesn't appear to be releasing the bacteria. They are supposed to last 30-ish days and turn tan when they need to be replaced. No idea what could be going on.

Maybe contact Dr. Tim's to see if they can offer any guidance?

Also, found this interesting. I wonder if they're discontinuing the product entirely or just that size?

Thanks
Ah, I understand now. You're wondering why it doesn't appear to be releasing the bacteria. They are supposed to last 30-ish days and turn tan when they need to be replaced. No idea what could be going on.

Maybe contact Dr. Tim's to see if they can offer any guidance?

Also, found this interesting. I wonder if they're discontinuing the product entirely or just that size?
Thanks, I'll definatly not count on that product

Back