Drilling a Innovative Marine 40 Black

edsimmons

Premium Member
Some pictures of this mornings project. Drilling a IM 40 Black. I needed to drill a 60mm hole thru 8mm non-tempered glass to install a Eshopps eclipse M over flow. Took about 8-10 minutes of drilling with the Eshopps included diamond hole saw.

51b6320cf4b42a18052ac04daaac0e6b.jpg
b1af5709e075e075d4e2620fdccf3390.jpg
8974d67fdcb576c8eae294d2616a84c6.jpg
62f20ece41d2d7f70169875f31170ff8.jpg
e1c0fd9c18218d127fe7e3ac2e6a45ff.jpg
2ee9395cf134a9f4bc47f7a05283c125.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello, edsimmons!

I know this post is a couple months old, but this is EXACTLY what I'm hoping to do. I just wanted to ask where you got that overflow kit, and how well did it all work out for you? Any leaks? Good flow? Quiet? Any help or updates you could post would really help.

Thank you!

ReeferCatFish

Does anyone happen to know if the Innovative Marine Nuvo tanks can be drilled easily?

Thanks everyone!

-ReeferCatFish

I thought about getting one and drilling it. The main guideline I was looking at was thickness of glass. Most people recommend 6mm glass thickness at a minimum to avoid shattering glass. That said, I ended up drilling a 20 gallon tank from Petco which I think is thinner than 6mm and it was fine.

That's interesting, because I personally have drilled small ten's and twenty's without problem, and they have very thin glass, less than 6mm for sure. Of course, that was many years ago, so maybe the quality of glass has changed. I'm pretty sure ive read elsewhere that the IM Nuvo's can indeed be drilled, but I'd really appreciate it if like a couple people at least said, "Oh sure, I did it with no problem."

Thanks guy!

-RFC

I'm pretty sure ive read elsewhere that the IM Nuvo's can indeed be drilled, but I'd really appreciate it if like a couple people at least said, "Oh sure, I did it with no problem."

-RFC

If glass thickness is available and it is non-tempered, does aquarium brand really affect the process of drilling a tank?
I’ve drilled a Biocube 32 and regular 20 gallon tank. I’d feel comfortable drilling IM.
Drilling the Biocube was just for practice. I had one laying around so I figured why not.
Yoja8Mm.jpg

20 gallon Aqueon from Petco
rq0sHNZ.jpg

Last edited:
Hi! I wasn’t sure if it was tempered glass or not, or if the low iron glass made any difference for drilling. I have drilled a few “regular” tanks, but I’m considering getting an IM, and was just wondering if there were any gotchas I should know about before drilling one.

Thanks for your help!

-RCF

Hi! I wasn't sure if it was tempered glass or not, or if the low iron glass made any difference for drilling. I have drilled a few "œregular" tanks, but I'm considering getting an IM, and was just wondering if there were any gotchas I should know about before drilling one.

Thanks for your help!

-RCF

This should probably help in that case.
If you read Q+A in the product description in the link below MD says IM tanks can be drilled. They don't mention anything out of the ordinary except the warranty will be void after drilling the tank.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Innovat...-Innovative_Marine-0I05505-FIAQNCNTTN-vi.html

Hello all,

I currently have an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40 Gallons All-in-One. Oh by the way, I am a newbie. I saw this article that I am very curious about. I have the tank but would like to get it drilled. First thing, what tool(s) did you use to scrap off the silicone to get acrylic divider off and the rest of the sump in the back wall. I have a diamond drill 1" also to use to drill the glass. What sump are you using? Can I see current pictures of the setup?

Thanks,

Benny

Hello all,

I currently have an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40 Gallons All-in-One. Oh by the way, I am a newbie. I saw this article that I am very curious about. I have the tank but would like to get it drilled. First thing, what tool(s) did you use to scrap off the silicone to get acrylic divider off and the rest of the sump in the back wall. I have a diamond drill 1" also to use to drill the glass. What sump are you using? Can I see current pictures of the setup?

Thanks,

Benny
Benny,

The tank I bough didnt have the AIO stuff on the back, just a glass box.

Back