Drilling tank. What kind of overflow?

BarneyPSU

I’m getting ready to start a 54 gallon corner bow front tank and I am drilling a side panel to add an overflow. I cannot drill the bottom, but the sides are not tempered and can be drilled. What kind of overflow would everyone recommend? I’m looking for as quiet as possible since the tank is in the living room. The tank is rimmed and I also want to keep the water line at or above the line of the rim if possible.

I think you could use one of the Eshopps Eclipse kits but you might have to trim the rim to have the water line high enough to not be visible. The kits are nice because they come with the drill bit and template and I believe you can set them up as a Herbie to be silent ( you would need to add a gate valve to the main drain to make that work).

I think you could use one of the Eshopps Eclipse kits but you might have to trim the rim to have the water line high enough to not be visible. The kits are nice because they come with the drill bit and template and I believe you can set them up as a Herbie to be silent ( you would need to add a gate valve to the main drain to make that work).
Yes, with a rimmed aquarium you’ll either want to trim the rim or install a weir in the internal part of the overflow or your water level will be low. I used a nylon bolt/nut and a piece of acrylic to make a weir and it’s worked perfectly for years.

Back