Drinking Water Safe Flexible Pipe

acuario

Well I finally have RODI, sump and tank, now for the plumbing... I'm concerned about introducing carcinogens in pipe not rated safe for human drinking water. It sounds like PVC has more issues (vinyl chloride and DEHP for example) than high-density polyethylene pipe. Has anybody worked with NSF 61-rated (potable water) flexible hose or pipe in 1-inch or 1-1/4 inch ID and used glue for fittings? I can only find pipe that industry-practice requires fusing or special couplers and elaborate clamping devices to connect fittings, such as Nexbraid PW-Series 128 or DriscoPlex® 5100 Ultra-Line® PE pipe. I have emailed Parker Hannifin, the manufacturer of Nexbraid, and they said their hose is fine for saltwater, but they have not been able to advise me yet on plumbing/clamping methods for saltwater. Has anybody been successful using stainless steel worm-gear hose clamps with HDPE pipe? Other ideas/solutions? Thanks in advance!

Is this for your tank or RO system?

if tank..
PVC is just fine and has been used for years without issues.
Vinyl tubing works just fine..
No need to over complicate it with a cancer scare on a fish tank..

You are waaaaay over thinking this, my friend. Just go with PVC or vinyl. If you need strong vinyl go braided.

Yes, this is for my new 45 gallon aquarium. I've been waiting for years and several moves later to have an aquarium again, so I just wanted to get it right. Thanks for your input.

Using a mixture of standard sch40 PVC, spaflex, and vinyl tubing here. No worries at all around any of it. When using PVC, be sure to let the glue cure as per the label instructions. Historically I've always rinsed my pipes with RO before tying them to the tank...the belt 'n suspenders method.

Oh, and one thing I'll recommend -- use something flexible between sources of vibration and hard PVC. Spa Flex or vinyl works well to limit/eliminate noise.

Back