Drowsy ?

Hello I am new here.
I have a powder brown and powder purple tang in QT for 2 weeks.
They were perfectly fine and ate a lot. Now, in these 2 days, the powder brown
started scratching on its side. At first, I thought it could be ich.
Now, it is acting drowsy and dis-oriented. I think the gills are red.
Please see video.
What medication should I use?
thank you

Welcome to Reef Central. Sorry your fish is having a problem.

As far as I can tell, the fish is not breathing above normal rates. Just to be sure, couunt the number of 'breaths' your fish takes in 15 seconds and multiply that by 4. If it is over 120, the fish is having breathing problems. But, like I wrote, I think the fish doesn't seem to have labored breathing.

Thus, I tend to put the possibility of gill flukes, on the back burner. This leaves a bacterial infection. The redness on this fish in the gill area is something I've inspected under the microscope. More times than not, it is a Mycobateria infection. One of the worst is Mycobacterium marinum. If it is a Mycobacteria infection then there is no treatment but beware: Humans can give fish Mycobacterium marinum and fish can infect humans with this bacteria. It transmits vis a vis putting hands into the aquarium water.

Do you have access to a microscope? You would take a gill clip and inspect it under the microscope and look for this bacteria.

Hopefully it is not Mycobacterium marinum. It may be another bacteria or the lesser chance of it being gill flukes. (With gill flukes, the breathing should be faster).

Having written all this: Treat the fish with an antibiotic. Most fish bacteria are Gram Negative bacteria, but this infection could be either one. Treat with both Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 (at the same time).

I don't know what you have in your fish medicine cabinet, but it should contain the Basics as listed in this Medicine Cabinet post. So if you have Kanaplex, use it now. Nitrofuracin Green (NFG) would be a good choice, too. So, there are options.

Just to be conservative. . .Treat with Praziquantel (for flukes). Praziquantel can be combined with antibiotics Maracyn 1 & 2 and Kanaplex. You can also treat the fish with General Cure plus an antibiotic.

Using Praziquantel
General Cure (which contains in part, Praziquantel) and PraziPro (containing mostly Praziquantel) and Praziquantel powder is an anthelmintic (deworming) medication. However, this medication binds with oxygen in the water to some extent. Thus, when using any of these products it is mandatory to add an airstone into the QT. A rule of thumb would be to add one airstone for every 10 gallons of QT water, or if the QT contains multiple fishes, add one airstone for every 3 fishes. Run a vigorous amount of air through the stone(s).

Understand if this is Mycobacteria, this fish won't recover after using the above treatments. All the fish in the QT will need to be euthanized. The entire QT system must be sterilized. I hope this isn't Mycobacteria. 🤞

hello Lee,
Thank you very much for your in depth diagnosis. Surprisingly I have all the meds you mentioned. I tended to buy a lot and do not know how to use them.

Should I use Maracyn 1 and 2 and Kanaplex and Prazipro all at once in QT ?
For how long?

thank you

Just use Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 together. Follow directions that come with the meds. (y)

Use PraziPro at the same time you use the two antibiotics. Just take precautions about the use of airstones.

Hello DR LEE
The medication seems to have effect. The powder tang is more normal color. Less red on gills. Still have 3 more days to go. I noticed the ammonia level spiked up to 0.5 ppm. Water is cloudy yellow. Lots of air bubbles floating on surface by the air stone. Do these meds kill nitrifying bacteria?

As I mentioned earlier the tangs are scratching against pvc pipes and tank bottom. I am planning to do ich treatment after this. But I cannot see any ich on them. Though their skin is a little rougher than before. Like sandpaper texture under the light. Could it be velvet? But given velvet is more fatal and my fish did not die and still eat well. I rule out velvet. Am I correct?

I have
Powder brown tang, powder blue tang. One flame Angel and one fairy wrasse.

Angel and wrasse do not do well with copper power. Should I use hyposalinity instead?

But if it is real velvet. Then hypo has no use. Please help in this dilemma

Thank you very much

Do these meds kill nitrifying bacteria?
Maracyn-2 will sometimes adversely affect the bio filter bacteria. Do water changes. The new water going in should contain the medications.
I rule out velvet. Am I correct?
Your reasoning is good. Amyloodinium ocellatum (Marine Velvet) kills fairly quickly.
the tangs are scratching against pvc pipes and tank bottom.
The frequency and location of this flashing is of importance. Many ornamental marine fishes with flash now and then. When the flashing gets to the frequency of once or more every 10 minutes, then it indicates a problem. The next thing to identify is where on their body do they flash? On the gill cover (operculum), the eye(s), or on the body somewhere? If it's on the operculum, then probably not gill flukes since the PraziPro should handle those. Although, sometimes the irritation remains even when the gill fluke leaves. See if the flashing is increasing or decreasing in frequency and note its location.

Flukes in the gill would also cause rapid breathing (over 120/min).
Angel and wrasse do not do well with copper power. Should I use hyposalinity instead?
Yes, if you believe the fish has Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich). Unless you want to do the tank transfer method (TTM). Since velvet has been ruled out, and the PraziPro will take care of flukes, then the only remaining value of Hyposalinity is to treat for Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich).

Do you know what part of the world the Flame Angel was caught? How long have you had this fish?

Flukes lay eggs and the PraziPro/Praziquantel treatment must be administered as directed on the medication package in order to kill off any hatched eggs. (Praziquantel doesn't kill the eggs). Be sure to keep the temperature up (78-79F).

Based on your observations, it does sound like the tang may be suffering from some sort of illness or infection. While I'm not a licensed veterinarian, I would recommend reaching out to a qualified aquatic vet or fish store with expertise in fish health for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. It's important to act quickly to ensure the best possible outcome for your tang.

Hello Lee. Thank you for checking in. I planned to report back after the hypo therapy. They are all good as new. The powder tang still has redness in gills. I guess it is its natural color. I was over reacted before. Whatelse could it be after so much meditation and it is doing extremely happy in hyposalinity water.
Thank you very much on your help. I am now more prepared for my new fish next time.
Cheers

Back