dry live rock

zidion

I got some free rock from a guy on craigslist. It WAS live rock in his tank, but when he took it down, he put it in a rubbermaid tote for about a year.

What do I need to do to make this usable in my aquarium? Do I need to cure it? I am starting a new tank, so can I put it in there as it starts to cycle and it willl be ok? Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks.

Just give it a soak in some RODI water to dislodge any dead material. You can cycle right in the tank. I'd suggest adding a bit of live rock to introduce some nitrifying bacteria and micofauna to the tank.

Just give it a soak in some RODI water to dislodge any dead material. You can cycle right in the tank. I'd suggest adding a bit of live rock to introduce some nitrifying bacteria and micofauna to the tank.

How long should I let is soak? And just RODI water, or should I put a pump in there also to get some water movement?

Bio -spira..... is instant oceans bacteria in a bottle, not bio-sphere.... not being rude just dont want to mislead.... Being that the rock probably has absorbed alot of who knows what in that year i would give it some good soaks in fresh ro/di water a few times and let it dry out in the sun completely til it turns white, which it will do if its true ocean rock...... also be sure to turn the rock to get all sides and try to elevate them if possible to avoid absorbing whatever lies beneath it...... for example lay them out on eggcrate or something of that nature.....

Back