DSB in a bucket for nitrate control

Sugar sized sand is ideal for RDSB, at least 5 inches in depth, preferably with good flow and no light. I pass 300 GPH over mine with 3 inches of water.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11349608#post11349608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Sugar sized sand is ideal for RDSB, at least 5 inches in depth, preferably with good flow and no light. I pass 300 GPH over mine with 3 inches of water.

Yeah its great for everything except my display tank :) So is it ok to use live sand or should I rinse it first?

I rinsed mine. Remember you don't want things growing in there other than denitrification bacteria. They will grow on their own.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11349707#post11349707 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
I rinsed mine. Remember you don't want things growing in there other than denitrification bacteria. They will grow on their own.

Perfect so this modification will only cost me time :)

Yes, that is right. Remember, only about 3 inches of water and the rest sand. Pass about 300 gph or thereabouts over it. If possible keep it as dark as possible so nothing grows.

While rinsing the sand costs only effort, in my case, I had a LOT of sand as I have two 14 gallon RDSB and I was pretty tired at the end.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11349809#post11349809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Yes, that is right. Remember, only about 3 inches of water and the rest sand. Pass about 300 gph or thereabouts over it. If possible keep it as dark as possible so nothing grows.

While rinsing the sand costs only effort, in my case, I had a LOT of sand as I have two 14 gallon RDSB and I was pretty tired at the end.

Did you wash sugar sized sand? If you havent tried that its good training for bar tendering in Dublin......

What I don't understand is, how can your nitrate drop 40 ppm with such a fast flow through?

I was thinking the same thing.

The number just don't add up here.

I think this remote DSD stuff is all a bit a pipe dream

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11352675#post11352675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waynem
I think this remote DSD stuff is all a bit a pipe dream

do you think that DSB's are a pipe dream too or just if they are installed remotely?

No just the "remote" as a way to dramatically reduce nitrate.

I am not say they will not work, just not as well as most people seem to hope they will. It's no golden bullet.

As part of a overall system package it would be of some help (IMO) when used in conjunction with other methods such as a fudge.

I had DSB in my last tank, this time I don't have one. I do however have a sulphate nitrate filter. That works really really well, takes time to setup and can be fiddly, but the results are good and easy to see with a test kit (at the return) and after a few months on the tank I have readings of 0 down from 20

waynem As part of a overall system package it would be of some help (IMO) when used in conjunction with other methods such as a fudge.

Well there has been some stir on these boards about dosing sugar to reduce nitrates, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to put fudge in my tank. :p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11353646#post11353646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waynem
No just the "remote" as a way to dramatically reduce nitrate.

I am not say they will not work, just not as well as most people seem to hope they will. It's no golden bullet.

As part of a overall system package it would be of some help (IMO) when used in conjunction with other methods such as a fudge.

i agree completely and i think if we go back to the start of the thread this is definitely explained.

this is not a 5G miracle and the amount of denitrification is directly related to the size of the sand bed. this only works in conjunction with proper reef keeping techniques and cannot eliminate any of the normal methods used in this hobby. ( ie. running a skimmer, having LR, running a fuge ( though i really do like fudge :) ) with macro, proper maintenance and cleanliness, maintaining a reasonable bio-load, good feeding techniques etc...... )

I'm having a hard time reading through so many pages so I'll seek the advice of anyone still following this thread. 30 cube with a 10 gal sump/fuge. I like the idea of making the rdsb removable and I want to shove it somewhere in the sump. What's the minimum size container I should use? This is all in the planning stage right now. I was thinking about making something out of black acrylic or a cookie dough tub.

I'm kind of in the same situation jayson, still planning out my system. It seems to me that vertical depth is very important, I would try for at least 10" deep. The other dimensions are more variable but bigger is better of course. As an out of the blue estimate, perhaps 6x6x12" minimum? That's about 2 gallons. I'm trying to find a good container for mine like the square bucket Kinetic is using, so far I just have a 5G round paint bucket. Anyone else have some size suggestions?

Well, the minimum depth is 5 inches but remember that if you use argonite sugar sand over time it will dissolve and keep your PH up (a side benefit). I personally have a 14 gallon square canister that is 12 by 12 inches with almost 20 inches of sand.

Reading the entire thread is worthwhile. But if you think it will not work, don't do it.

There are no silver bullets in this hobby. I personally believe in good skimming, remote deep sand bed, ozone through a reactor not a skimmer, and carbon for removal of any residual ozone. There are a variety of refugium types (remote deep sand bed is one, algae filter is another, but there are more.

Thhere is value in reading and understanding why these techniques are effective; there is no free lunch and fudge is rarely provided although I do have a weakness for it. If you understand why something is purported to work, you can make an intelligent choice. If you simply dismiss it, it for sure will not work for you.

Let's use a little common sense here... sure if you have a 400g system, and rDSB that is the size of a large cottage cheese container isn't going to cut it ( hey it's still 5" deep!). A 5 gallon bucket will keep the majority of systems low in NO3, unless you're talking 1000gals or something....For 100-300g probably....

They take time to develop the bacteria cultures too, so it won't be overnight that your running low NO3s.

Actually, my recollection is that it takes 4-6 weeks but I think it depends on sand size. (smaller is better)

Well, if you want the buffering capability as well as denitrification, be sure and get aragonite sand, preferably in sugar sand size.

Back