DSB in a bucket for nitrate control

I think it is called Southdown sand but I did not get mine at HD or Lowe's. Any sand will work, but the small aragonite sand is best.

I would imagine any limestone-based sand would have the same buffering capacity. Good luck, I tried at Lowe's and Home Depot a few days ago and struck out.

Did anybody tried to determine if after a while aragonite sand clumps up in the bucket? And if so, do you think it deminishes the efficiency of the RDSB?

I had that problem with a ~4" sandbed in an old refugium on my old tank. I think with such high calcium levels it started to turn into rock. I would be interested if anyone else had this problem?

Yeah, I think clumping is going to happen no matter what you do to aragonite sand. Low pH and bacteria in sand will clump it. So, the question remains, will this reduce the effectiveness of the RDSB?

AFAIK, sand's pH buffering is a benefit that most can live without, since most add Ca and Alk anyways. So, wouldn't it be better in the long run to use fine silica sand?

Well, unless it's absolutely solid I imagine it would still work. Live rocks are big chunks of aragonite, and they still fix nitrogen if they're big enough. Of course, there's always the hammer and chisel to break it up.

I suggest people read the entire thread. All of these questions and issues have been previously addressed.

I know this question comes up all the time when it comes to sand beds, but I picked up some silica play sand at HD (which of course says not to use in aquariums). I must say there is a lot of other "stuff" in it (black, larger "pebbles, etc)....it definitely isn't just sand. What are the thoughts on this? Or should I have gotten the Quickcrete silica sand stuff?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11378238#post11378238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PaintGuru
I know this question comes up all the time when it comes to sand beds, but I picked up some silica play sand at HD (which of course says not to use in aquariums). I must say there is a lot of other "stuff" in it (black, larger "pebbles, etc)....it definitely isn't just sand. What are the thoughts on this? Or should I have gotten the Quickcrete silica sand stuff?

PaintGuru

I'm new here, but what've read here seems to say use a sand with very small grain size so some large pieces in there would not be good as we want to maintain a LOW O2 level in the bed...
I just started one myself and used the Quikrete Premium play sand also from HD, which comes washed and dried(no biggie here as it's soon to get wet) but none the less a very clean sand with NO large grains.. For what it is worth I didnot rinse it, just added to my RDSB with water in it (not salt water) and I'm running on bypass. This way i can be sure I have no leaks and this will insure all the material got wet and no air pockets where formed as I filled the RDSB (I like saying that) then later I will add water from a water change and some gravel (like "live sand")to the top of sand bed giving me an overal depth of 8".

Hope this helps

;) ;) ;)

Well I finally got my Uniseal replaced (I did a stupid thing when designing the in and out flow) and everything is running now off a MJ900 (figured I would save a little power. I probably have 2-3" of water in the bucket and it is flowing nicely.

Where can I find a 5 G square bucket, or curved wall bulkhead? I am having the hardest time finding either one.

Anyhelp is geatly appreciated.

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11438268#post11438268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rutz81
Where can I find a 5 G square bucket, or curved wall bulkhead? I am having the hardest time finding either one.

Dave

I'm not sure if they still make them, but Red Sea brand salt used to come in a square bucket. Square buckets are also used for cat litter.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11438162#post11438162 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PaintGuru
Well I finally got my Uniseal replaced (I did a stupid thing when designing the in and out flow) and everything is running now off a MJ900 (figured I would save a little power. I probably have 2-3" of water in the bucket and it is flowing nicely.

PaintGuru:
That's great news, and there really is no such thing as stupid..we are in new areas, trying new things, and if we didn't we would never make progess in this hobby. So good luck with your RDSB project.

Oh ya I got mine running now, off the bypass mode, and into my sump, my orginal trates are very high (+150ppm nitrate N, yes nitrate N and this is AFTER 6 water changes in a weeks time, 5% to 7% to go slow) no excuses I had a outdated Lamotte kit and like a dummy I never double check it AND even worse than that I didn't do any water changes for YEARS...the tank right now is a fish only tank well almost a fish only ( it has some very tough mushrooms and an old leather coral and that is it good thing) This tank was and still is an NNR system (a 1" plenum covered by 4"-5" off sea floor sand and was setup Aug.27 1995) It was doing a good job off keeping Nitrates under control (never higher than 10-15 ppm total), but I lost interest and became complacient over the next several years and got a false security with "low" readings due to the outdated kit..This is getting to long... so for now we will see how the RDSB works, oh ya Dr.wilson if your in the house, maybe this tank would be a good one to answer your question posted on 12/07/2007. I promise to stay on top of project, really, as I'm off for the winter (No golf in NNY)

Dick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11438476#post11438476 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr.wilson
I'm not sure if they still make them, but Red Sea brand salt used to come in a square bucket. Square buckets are also used for cat litter.

Thanks, I found a Rubbermaiud Tote(they make all different size, with lids) Only cost me 3.50 for a 18G size.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11438268#post11438268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rutz81

Dave

Dave...check the post by Kinetic on page 19 dated 12/07/2007 he found just what your looking for

Dick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11438677#post11438677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltydog64
Dave...check the post by Kinetic on page 19 dated 12/07/2007 he found just what your looking for

Dick

I got a 4g bucket from usplastics that's square (10" x 10" x ~14" tall).

I wish it was a tad bigger though

What does everyone think of the Rubbermaid Tote?? You think it is strong enough of a plastic to not bend from the weight of the PVC/bulkheads??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11438668#post11438668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rutz81
Thanks, I found a Rubbermaiud Tote(they make all different size, with lids) Only cost me 3.50 for a 18G size.

rutz81, Becareful with these as I think some folks have had issues using them. Check out page 13 dated 03/03/2007 think it was percula 99 and or Redox who tried and had leaks and/or splits...not good.

For want it is worth I'm using a 10 gal. from sterilite which seems very strong and shows no sighs of distress when filled with 75 lbs of sand and 3" of water. I found these @ alocal $$$store. Check their site..http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=33

Hope this helps.

Dick

KafudaFish
Sorry for the slow reply, yes it was a brewing carboy. I had to get creative with drilling a rubber plug for both the in and out line to pass through, and then silliconed the heck out of it. It basically became a pressure vessel with a MJ feeding in.

I just took it offline today because I finished my refugium cabinet. The RDSB is now in half of a 20g tank, blacked out, with cheato on the other side.

M

Back