DSB in my refugium

GT

Can i use the Aragonite Carib sea sand I have left over that I used in my tank, or do I have to use the finer, or mud in my fuge? Just setting tank up this week.

Thanks,
T. :confused:

i had a shallow sb for 2 years roughly and the detritus that came would have stunned you.

go BB pods ect will live in the chaeto anyway. then you can keep it clean. i feed every other day lightly and you would not believe all the junk that builds up in a week.

outy, to clarify, you are suggesting going BB in the fuge specifically (not the whole tank)? So that detritus that builds up in corners of the fuge can be more easily removed? I'm planning on going BB in my fuge area in my new setup for this reason.

I'm unclear how a sand bed (or mud bed) would help with nutrient export or nutrient reduction (unless it were a DSB, with the requisite large area requirement). So I'm curious as well. Thanks...

yes just bb in the fuge.

i did the sand thing for a long time.,,, never again

if you saw what i vacume out weekly it would amaze you. [its not just in the corners it covers the bottom of a lightly fed tank]

if you change water normal you dont need to add trace elements.

heres a pic of a weeks worth of junk. see all the tan stuff under the chaeto thats detritus.

with a sand bed that stuff just builds up

with a few pieces of LR and the chaeto theres all kinds of pods ect in there

I personally would rather have the ability to support sand dwelling inverts for my fish.

Just my opinion. Thats why I have the darn thing, and for a bit of nutrient export.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8074358#post8074358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HBtank
I personally would rather have the ability to support sand dwelling inverts for my fish in my refugium.

Just my opinion. Thats why I have the darn thing, and for a bit of nutrient export.

Ok, Ok, I understand the opinions on the sand in the fuge, but Im still confused on why do I need the finer sand in the fuge or mud. The reason why is I have 1 40# bag of the carib sea aragonite (medium size) left over. I was wondering if Im asking for trouble using it instead of the finer stuff!

Thanks,
T.

Back