DSPS tank from Thailand (1000 gallon+)

ching,

a friend of mine in singapore has leng sy monti cap for sale.

Highly unlikely.

The Leng Sy capricornis strain has been extinct for many years and no posters in reefcentral or in any other prominent reefing forums have reported sightings of this fabulous coral.

That friend of yours is keeping a monti cap that resembles a Leng Sy cap but I highly doubt it has the insane coloration that the real one has.

Ching,

I just took the last two days to read this thread from start to finish......all the good adjectives have already been used up. But I will add absolutely amazing! It has been an entertaining and enlightening couple of days. Thank You :beer:

A few comments not in any real chronological order, my way of repaying you for the great time I had reading this thread. I have never seen such a well thought out and executed reef tank project.

1. I also recommend a copper band butterfly to get rid of the aiptasia. I have had a half dozen copper bands over the years and they are very interesting fish. They have never bothered any of my coral SPS or softies. They are reef safe and get along with everyone. The only real issue is getting them to start eating when you get them home. They do love frozen Mysis with a touch of garlic. Once they do start eating they are very hardy and enjoyable to watch in the tank. You normally never see them eating the aiptasia in the tank, but all of a sudden, over a few months as he acclimates, the aiptasia all disappear and the copper band gets a shy grin on his beak.

2. Scratches in an acrylic tank. My tank is a 50 gallon 1/2 round acrylic and I have had my share of scratches while installing the live rock column. It is impossible not to end up having some scratches. When the live rock or an SPS touches the sidewall when being installed, or when a piece of sand or snail gets under the magnetic cleaning pad and you end up with scratches in the acrylic.

After a lot of thought, I have developed the following procedure and method to remove them without needing to empty the tank and polish it. It does a good job of taking the scratches out of my acrylic tank and keeping it scratch free. It isn't a fast process, like the old wax on wax off procedure, but you will see them slowly vanish.

I modified my little Magnavore 6 magnetic cleaner by super gluing a 3x4 inch sheet of Micro-Mesh sanding sheet on top of the mesh pad. This allows the sanding sheet to be easily replaced by peeling off the mesh pad. The Micro-Mesh sandpaper comes in ultra ultra fine grits, 1500 to 12,000. This is much finer grit than the normal automotive wet-dry emory paper. I use a 6,000 grit for general cleaning of the inside of the tank every few days.

A newly installed piece of 6,000 will initially show some very slight abrasion on the acrylic if you look very close, but that stops after it is used for 10 or 15 minutes as it breaks in. It doesn't appear like anything is happening when you are doing it, but after 30 or 40 rubs you will see the scratches slowly fad. If you have a deep scratch you can use coarser grits and then go back one the area with a finer and finer grits. You can actually see the fine acrylic dust as you clean and polish. You don't need to use any coarser than 3200 or finer than 8,000, unless the scratches are very deep.

It is a slow manual process but it works very well. You will seen fewer and fewer noticeable scratches, as you use the 6,000 grit in place of the fiber pads, for general tank cleaning. I have never had any of my SPS or Softies coral or fish adversely effected by the fine acrylic dust that develops in the water while doing it. It clears up quickly. Like the fiber pads you need careful not to get a small snail or grain of sand between the paper and the tank surface or it can do more harm than good.

When doing this, I first wipe lightly down the tank outside with Novus 1 or 2 liquid fine scratch remover. Then I cover the outside magnet surface with a piece of paper towel, changing it frequently. It does a great job of polishing both side of the acrylic when doing it in this manner, and it acts as a lubricant to allow the magnet surface to move across the outside of the tank with less effort.

You can buy what is called a Micro Mesh introductory wood kit with one of each of the 3x4 grits samples on Amazon. The sheets aren't cheap, but they work. I buy full size sheets of the 6,000 grit material from Peachtree Woodworking and cut it to size to save a few pennies. It is used in woodworking in finishing and polishing varnished furniture.

Hope this helps to take care of a problem we all have with acrylic tanks.

GrahamJr

GrahamJr, thanks for the great information on care for acrylic tanks. My 400 is acrylic and I too have a number of scratches on the inside that need to be removed.

Ching, your tank is an inspiration to us all. Keep up the great work! Make sure you head over to Peter's thread to check out his latest photos.

Ching,

I just took the last two days to read this thread from start to finish......all the good adjectives have already been used up. But I will add absolutely amazing! It has been an entertaining and enlightening couple of days. Thank You :beer:

A few comments not in any real chronological order, my way of repaying you for the great time I had reading this thread. I have never seen such a well thought out and executed reef tank project.

1. I also recommend a copper band butterfly to get rid of the aiptasia. I have had a half dozen copper bands over the years and they are very interesting fish. They have never bothered any of my coral SPS or softies. They are reef safe and get along with everyone. The only real issue is getting them to start eating when you get them home. They do love frozen Mysis with a touch of garlic. Once they do start eating they are very hardy and enjoyable to watch in the tank. You normally never see them eating the aiptasia in the tank, but all of a sudden, over a few months as he acclimates, the aiptasia all disappear and the copper band gets a shy grin on his beak.

2. Scratches in an acrylic tank. My tank is a 50 gallon 1/2 round acrylic and I have had my share of scratches while installing the live rock column. It is impossible not to end up having some scratches. When the live rock or an SPS touches the sidewall when being installed, or when a piece of sand or snail gets under the magnetic cleaning pad and you end up with scratches in the acrylic.

After a lot of thought, I have developed the following procedure and method to remove them without needing to empty the tank and polish it. It does a good job of taking the scratches out of my acrylic tank and keeping it scratch free. It isn't a fast process, like the old wax on wax off procedure, but you will see them slowly vanish.

I modified my little Magnavore 6 magnetic cleaner by super gluing a 3x4 inch sheet of Micro-Mesh sanding sheet on top of the mesh pad. This allows the sanding sheet to be easily replaced by peeling off the mesh pad. The Micro-Mesh sandpaper comes in ultra ultra fine grits, 1500 to 12,000. This is much finer grit than the normal automotive wet-dry emory paper. I use a 6,000 grit for general cleaning of the inside of the tank every few days.

A newly installed piece of 6,000 will initially show some very slight abrasion on the acrylic if you look very close, but that stops after it is used for 10 or 15 minutes as it breaks in. It doesn't appear like anything is happening when you are doing it, but after 30 or 40 rubs you will see the scratches slowly fad. If you have a deep scratch you can use coarser grits and then go back one the area with a finer and finer grits. You can actually see the fine acrylic dust as you clean and polish. You don't need to use any coarser than 3200 or finer than 8,000, unless the scratches are very deep.

It is a slow manual process but it works very well. You will seen fewer and fewer noticeable scratches, as you use the 6,000 grit in place of the fiber pads, for general tank cleaning. I have never had any of my SPS or Softies coral or fish adversely effected by the fine acrylic dust that develops in the water while doing it. It clears up quickly. Like the fiber pads you need careful not to get a small snail or grain of sand between the paper and the tank surface or it can do more harm than good.

When doing this, I first wipe lightly down the tank outside with Novus 1 or 2 liquid fine scratch remover. Then I cover the outside magnet surface with a piece of paper towel, changing it frequently. It does a great job of polishing both side of the acrylic when doing it in this manner, and it acts as a lubricant to allow the magnet surface to move across the outside of the tank with less effort.

You can buy what is called a Micro Mesh introductory wood kit with one of each of the 3x4 grits samples on Amazon. The sheets aren't cheap, but they work. I buy full size sheets of the 6,000 grit material from Peachtree Woodworking and cut it to size to save a few pennies. It is used in woodworking in finishing and polishing varnished furniture.

GrahamJr

Graham.

Thank you for your kind words and information.
I really appreciate it.

But I don't have issue with Aiptasia.
What I have is Majano Anemone.
I don't think Copper band butterfly fish will eat them. Or they do?
However, the tip of the scratch remover on acrylic is very useful.

GrahamJr, thanks for the great information on care for acrylic tanks. My 400 is acrylic and I too have a number of scratches on the inside that need to be removed.

Ching, your tank is an inspiration to us all. Keep up the great work! Make sure you head over to Peter's thread to check out his latest photos.

Scott. Thanks.
Yes, I did check out Peter's photos.
They are so amazing.

Graham.

Thank you for your kind words and information.
I really appreciate it.

But I don't have issue with Aiptasia.
What I have is Majano Anemone.
I don't think Copper band butterfly fish will eat them. Or they do?
However, the tip of the scratch remover on acrylic is very useful.

The Aiptasia outbreak in my tank ended up growing 50 Aiptasia and a dozen where half dollar size Aiptasia, as large as many Majano Anemone, before I bought the Copper band that eat them all. I have read where some Copper band owners also often have them eat the Majano Anemone also. I would pick off a Major Anemone while your CopperBand was in quarantine tank as see if it would eat eat while feeding him mysis. I'd cut the first one up to give him a taste first.

ching how many drain pipes do you have to get enough surface skimming? i had 2 on my 220 and i felt there was a little skim on top of my water, or do you have the surface of your water being broke up with the wavebox?
corey

Ching,

GrahamJr
GrahamJr, thanks for the great information on care for acrylic tanks.

dear Chingchai I ask you a question about Biopellet, if this can be used in an aquarium already set, but have no problem with hard corals there. Thank you for your answer

Hi Chingchai,
can you tell me how to bring the water to Schuran Jetstream CA Reaktor?
With a pump how many liters/h?
It is true that the water outlet of the reactor should be higher?
Thanks in advance for an answer.

Ching,

Thank you so much for having my girlfriend and I round to your place last month, you're very generous. We're now back in the UK where it is much less warm!

It was incredible to get to see this tank in person, it exceeded my expectations- and I was expecting it to look very nice!!

I've included the quick video I took when I was round, didn't have much of a steady hand- I guess that's what being around such an awesome reef and reefer does to me. :lol: Sadly even though I shot it in 1080p HD I could not get on with the youtube uploader. If you want me to send any of the photos I took let me know but I suspect you already have some very nice ones!

Likewise, let me know if you want me to remove the video.

Thanks again and I wish you luck in the future.

Jeff.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fu6Bab_tiuM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's one cool video... Wishing it was more longer :)
Greatest reef setup ever!! Which includes planning, equipment choice, live stock choice, top notch maintenance and esthetic balance.
I dont think there is any setup that can match Chingchai's tank in the above mentioned categories.

The Aiptasia outbreak in my tank ended up growing 50 Aiptasia and a dozen where half dollar size Aiptasia, as large as many Majano Anemone, before I bought the Copper band that eat them all. I have read where some Copper band owners also often have them eat the Majano Anemone also. I would pick off a Major Anemone while your CopperBand was in quarantine tank as see if it would eat eat while feeding him mysis. I'd cut the first one up to give him a taste first.

That is a good idea. Thanks.

ching how many drain pipes do you have to get enough surface skimming? i had 2 on my 220 and i felt there was a little skim on top of my water, or do you have the surface of your water being broke up with the wavebox?
corey

I have 4 drain pipes.
Yes, my water surface is being broke up with the wavemaker.

Back