Durso/Drain help needed

DragonFish

Unregistered Member
I'm just about done setting up my 40 Breeder, and the drain is doing strange things. Tank info; 1" drain with Durso, 3/4" return on a Quiet One 2200 (little less than 600 GPH before head loss) Drilled in the bottom with a DIY overflow box. The water in the overflow box is nice and stable, however if I open the gate valve on the drain and return all the way up, the water entering the sump has so much air in it that it looks like it is violently boiling. At the moment, I have both the drain and the return closed about 25% and now it is just a small fizzing, but I'd really like to be able to turn the flow all the way up. The only thing I suspect is back pressure. The drain pipe is about 1" under the water line in the sump. Is that okay or should it be above the water line? What else can anyone think of? Thanks!

I used 1.25 and i have the same problem. As well as I get a pulsating rythm of water slow, fast, slow, fast..... soooo annoying. working too many hours to fix it :-( So i just have some cheato algae around the drain pipe in the sump.

I think I need to up to I.D. of the overflow durso to 1.5, maybe the same goes for you? :twitch:

does your durso have a way for air to escape? I was having a flushing sound and fluctuating water levels in my overflow. I drill a single 1/8" hole in the cap and it fix it. No more noise or fluctuating water levels.

no the drain or bulk head i should say can stay at 1" but all the plumbing above it step up to 1.25 or 1.5" if you got the room..... and it should solve your problem....the bigger the better....

btw it does require a small hole or valve in the top cap to adjust the air and help with the flow....forgot to mention that.....+1 jetta

Yes, I started with a 1/16" hole and went up from there till the water level in the overflow stopped fluctuating. Well at least that shouldn't be too hard, and there is no problem with the bottom of the drain pipe being under the water level in the sump? Thanks!

agreed on the air inlet. My corner-flow kit came with a pre-drilled hole on the drain pipe with a rigid plastic air tube. Just by adjusting that up or down a bit has a big impact on the flow and fluctuating levels in the overflow. I should have paid more attention in shop class. Or physics. Or chemistry......sigh....

No there is no problem with the pipe being submerged in the sump as long as its a 1" or less....if it was 4" under water ya your gonna have problems with back pressure....you can cut it above the water line but it gets noisy and salt spray comes in on a heavier scale.....I have my beans silent failsafe submeged about 1" with no problems....;)

Also it wouldn't hurt to use 1.5" plumbing from the bulkhead to the sump.....prolly a good idea if you can do it.......its overkill but the water will have a better flow.....

Back