Ecotech MP40w on my 90 reef?

powder_blue

I currently have a 90 gallon SPS dominated reef and I'm using a RKL controller with (2) koralia evolution 1400's and (1) 750. I can't take the clicking anymore and I'm ready to finally go Ecotech. Can I just use (1) Mp40 for the entire tank and get enough movement? Or maybe (2) Mp10's (glass to thick?)Return flow is from a Mag 7. Thanks!

I would use two 40s, a bonus with the Ecotech pumps is the undertow they produce, if you only use 1 it wont keep the liverock and substrate clean on the other side

I've only got about $500 to do this with right now. Would it be ok for a while or should I not do it until I can afford 2? Thanks

I've only got about $500 to do this with right now. Would it be ok for a while or should I not do it until I can afford 2? Thanks

Hey power blue I have a very similar tank 90 with mag 9.5 and 2 korellea 1400s on a mixed reef...I always looked at them but at 450 they were out of my range...buy I had the opportunity to get a mp40 for cheap so I went for it! I was hesitant after seeing so many for sale and hearing of noise issues but so glad I did! It has amazing undertow will drag sand from one side to the other! Gives good random flow and adjustable and programable. Very broad stream and did I mention great undertow. Now it seems it looses steam around 2' from the PH but I kept a korellea on the other side until I can afford another one. I too am looking at a mp10 for the other side I have a mixed reef so I don't want to hammer my Lps! I think go with the one mp40 for now and save up for another when you can! Worth it in my book!!

I run 2 MP40s on my 75 gallon at about 80% power on reef crest. One would probably be fine as well, these are very powerful pumps.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll stick with one for now and try to direct the return flow to any dead spots and then maybe grab another or a smaller for the other side when I can. So excited to finally do this after all research (and mentally coming to terms with purchasing a pump that costs more than 10 koralias)as it appears as thought nothing will duplicate its performance.

I got a very simlar tank; 90G mixed with 4 Evos on a Apex...
I got no dead spots, and can't find any practicle reason to upgrade...

but I don't kid myself either...this hobby is as much about toys than anything else...
its hard to pull the trigger on whats essentially a $500 powerhead...

$900 for 2ea is a bit much....but I might "split the baby" eventually; maybe 1 MP40 and a MP10...if I add another MP40 in the future I can move the MP10 for "ecoBak" mode

Does anyone know if you can run Two MP10s on one side while "anti-synching" them to a single MP40 on the other?

Why do 2 10s instead of a single 40?

Fwiw I ran a single 40 on my 90 for a while. Worked great. I did get a deal on a mp60 so now I run a 40 and a 60

I run a 90 sps tank as well. Have you looked at 2 used mp40's? I picked up 2 mp40w's for $600 and glad I did. The pop up in the for sale thread from anywhere around $275-$350 each.

I have thought about used but I think for the piece of mind on this type of purchase I want to go new. Maybe I'll add a MP10 around Xmas time. I don't think I can sell the koralias on RC yet but I will be getting rid of (2) 1400 and (2) 750 evos. Prob just put em on ebay. The 1400's are only a couple of months old as I had (4) 750's before. Holy crap I just saw the price on the battery backup. Ecotech is making some serious $ but good for them as we have yet to see a true rival product. Thanks to all for the advice!

Im a bit surprised nobody has mentioned this buuuutt, if the clicking of your current pump is driving you nuts I think the noise from the MP will really drive you up the wall. You might want to find someone that owns one or 2 and listen to their tank. I had a pair and just couldnt deal with the noise, I sold both and went with 2 Tunze's (and love them)

It seems as no matter what time I set the wavemaker for the pumps seem to switch violently and my fish freak out. A little noise wouldn't make me that crazy but the fish jumping out would :)

you can run one mp40 on a 90g reef tank. i did for over a year without issues. after a year i got a second one to utilize the wireless feature. was it necessary to have two? no but it wouldnt hurt to add more flow and dial them down to keep the noise level at a minimum.

That sounds like a plan. If I can get by for another year and add another then it would be perfect for an upgrade in tank size also. These forums and the members are priceless in this obsession. I'm 38 now and have had saltwater tanks since I was about 10 and until this dang intranet came out we had to guess on so much or use TERRIBLE lfs advice.

Back