EcoTech Vectra Battery Hack?

thetedinator

Has anyone hacked a battery back up for the Vectra pumps from EcoTech? It appears the Vectra driver does not use the same connector as the Vortech driver.

Has anyone hacked a battery back up for the Vectra pumps from EcoTech? It appears the Vectra driver does not use the same connector as the Vortech driver.

I read in one of the reviews that the vectras run at 48v. I don't have one to poke at while traveling so I can't verify myself.

Tagging along

I read in one of the reviews that the vectras run at 48v. I don't have one to poke at while traveling so I can't verify myself.

Tagging along

My Vectra M1 came with a 36V adaptor, vs the 24V adaptors on the Vortechs.

The battery pack I thought was designed to run at a much lower voltage.

Pretty sure you need the Battery Backup Booster, they just started selling it on the EcoTech parts store. I ordered mine last week, and can post results once i get it.

I did a battery backup for my Vortechs based off this thread ...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278577&highlight=vortech+diy+battery

The ecotech battery backup is a 12v battery.
Using that thread and those cables and supplies I successfully made and hooked up a battery backup to my Vortech Pumps.
The Vectra Pump runs off the same ecotech 12 v battery backup.
I have not gotten a clear answer exactly what the battery booster does BUT, it should be able to be hooked up to the DIY battery backup (since they are exactly the same) and perform the same function.

I have not done this since I dont have my Vectra yet (wont for a few months). Someone correct me if Im wrong with my though process here / reasons why it wouldnt work.

I did a battery backup for my Vortechs based off this thread ...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278577&highlight=vortech+diy+battery

The ecotech battery backup is a 12v battery.
Using that thread and those cables and supplies I successfully made and hooked up a battery backup to my Vortech Pumps.
The Vectra Pump runs off the same ecotech 12 v battery backup.
I have not gotten a clear answer exactly what the battery booster does BUT, it should be able to be hooked up to the DIY battery backup (since they are exactly the same) and perform the same function.

I have not done this since I dont have my Vectra yet (wont for a few months). Someone correct me if Im wrong with my though process here / reasons why it wouldnt work.

Seems reasonable to me. FYI i have both the battery and the vectra m1, but have yet to get the booster cable in the mail. As it stands now, the vectra wont run at all with the stock cable. It powers up, but is unable to push any water though my plumbing. (It can push a very slight amount of water sitting in a bucket by itself). So if you expect to use it like a legit battery backup you would absolutely need the booster cable or some equivalent voltage boosting device.

Seems reasonable to me. FYI i have both the battery and the vectra m1, but have yet to get the booster cable in the mail. As it stands now, the vectra wont run at all with the stock cable. It powers up, but is unable to push any water though my plumbing. (It can push a very slight amount of water sitting in a bucket by itself). So if you expect to use it like a legit battery backup you would absolutely need the booster cable or some equivalent voltage boosting device.

Can it be assumed thats what the booster accomplishes? It takes the 12v and ups it to the necessary voltage for the pump to run? It just seems like there should be more to a unit that does that instead of a small cable like that.

I would assume that yes. But until i have the device in my hands i cant confirm. There is shockingly little info on the internet about this part as well...

The picture on the ecotech site is also garbage and super tiny. Hard to tell how much girth that center section has. Ill post some pics and my experience once i get it in hand.

Can it be assumed thats what the booster accomplishes? It takes the 12v and ups it to the necessary voltage for the pump to run? It just seems like there should be more to a unit that does that instead of a small cable like that.

Yes. Its essentially a buck converter. Take DC in and uses regulators to step up the voltage. Similar to a small power supply. It probably takes 12VDC in and steps it up to 24VDC~30VDC.

You should be able to use any 12V battery source. Just figure out the Amp-Hours needed. You could also just find a 24V battery source like a lithium polymer battery. They work great with DC motors.

Yes. Its essentially a buck converter. Take DC in and uses regulators to step up the voltage. Similar to a small power supply. It probably takes 12VDC in and steps it up to 24VDC~30VDC.

You should be able to use any 12V battery source. Just figure out the Amp-Hours needed. You could also just find a 24V battery source like a lithium polymer battery. They work great with DC motors.

What do you mean by figure out the amp hours needed? Are you talking to figure how long the battery will last or is that an integral number to figuring out if the vectra will work connected to the 12V supply?

I would assume that yes. But until i have the device in my hands i cant confirm. There is shockingly little info on the internet about this part as well...

The picture on the ecotech site is also garbage and super tiny. Hard to tell how much girth that center section has. Ill post some pics and my experience once i get it in hand.

You will also need to figure out the size of the adapter INTO the Vectra Driver. The current poster says it is a different diameter. Everyone who will want to DIY is going to need to know what kind of converters to buy for this.

What do you mean by figure out the amp hours needed? Are you talking to figure how long the battery will last or is that an integral number to figuring out if the vectra will work connected to the 12V supply?

I was just talking about if you wanted to source your own batteries. The Amp-Hour rating of the battery will ultimately decide how long you could run your pump for.

So lets say your battery is a 25V 1AH battery. Theoretically, would have 1 amp for an hour @ 25 volts. This is best case scenario obviously.

If you wanted to use the ecotech marine 12V 18AH batteries, you could probably wire 2 of them in series to give you 24V@18AH also. Not sure if that is possible with their units.

Is the EcoTech battery a sealed lead acid? I assume, for simplicity, it would be. Simply putting three lead acid 12V batteries in series would get you an equivalent 36V supply for the Vectra, and they are very easy to charge and relatively safe to boot. I would not recommend building something with Li-Ion cells without tons of precautions.

Is the EcoTech battery a sealed lead acid? I assume, for simplicity, it would be. Simply putting three lead acid 12V batteries in series would get you an equivalent 36V supply for the Vectra, and they are very easy to charge and relatively safe to boot. I would not recommend building something with Li-Ion cells without tons of precautions.

Yes the ecotech is a sealed lead acid battery. It is a 12v and the booster steps it up to the needed 36v.

I agree with the Lithium statement.

yea that is a good point. Charging them also is a bit of a challenge. Lead Acid are fine and are proven, but are usually big and heavy. Probably doesn't matter for this application. Is it confirmed that this thing runs at 36V not at 24?

Back