educators....sea swirls...return pumps... OH my!!!

scottfarcuz

I have a 60 gallon sump on my system and 2-1" sea swirls for a return to the tank. I'm looking for a low flow through the sump with a pressure rated pump of around 1000 gph and running 2 educators on the sea swirls. I was considering the Gen-X Mak4/PCX40 Pump. what size educator would be best for this? Do I need to consider a bigger pump to power 2 educators?

Anyone done this with sea swirls? Anyone doing it on normal return method want to chime in? I like the idea of low sump flow. I have 2 tunzes and am considering adding a wavebox. My skimmer uses a 900gph needlewheel pump so I don't see much need to churn the massive amount through the overflows as I am now. I think going to a pressure rated pump, and educators makes sense. I can get 2-1" educators for $50 and add several thousand GPH to my tank without much of any added energy cost. The return pump I mentioned (pcx40) goes for $129 at my LFS. some specs:

Inlet-3/4" MNPT
Outlet-3/4" MNPT
Maximum flow-1190GPH/1180GPH@4'
Pressure rated for a maximum lift of 22 ft.
Economical to run, uses only 110 watts

I have 2-1" ID flex tube running straight from a 1 1/2" wye right out of the pump currently. The pump is in the stand. I may have 6ft total head counting the sea swirls. I am willing to pay more if a more quite cost effective pressure rated pump would suit me better. My current pump is 325 watts so I would like to save some electricity but I'd love it to be silent also. My current pump (sequence barracuda) is just more than I think AGA's dual megaflows can handle.

Back