Electric Flame Scallops

There is only one person I know of who has kept one for over a year and even then it can't be considered a success yet. Flame scallops reside in the realm of feather stars and are best left in the ocean.

had mine for 10 months. they like caves with an in current. i had this by coincidence before purchasing, that cave should be roomy for them. i feed phyto (Nanno and Tetra) here and there and bi weekly coral frenzy feedings.

if it isnt constantly pooping then its not eating enough.

these things only live about 3 years, given the size we purchase them at, 1 year is likely the end of its life regardless of where it is. though there are many who fail in just a few weeks.

I know that this is an old thread but I wanted to chime in here as well. I had a electric flame scallop which lived in my tank for a little over a year. It was stunning to watch.
they like caves with an in current. i had this by coincidence before purchasing, that cave should be roomy for them
+1 for dputt88. I have the same cave on my sand bed only large enough to fit a large open scallop and it has a cross stream from a power head on the side of the tank. I recently (2 days ago) purchased a new electric flame scallop and it went right into the same cave.

As for feeding, I alternate Coral Frenzy, frozen reef plankton and frozen cyclopes. I also dose phyto here and there.

Yes but the 'roids they put in food nowadays

Well think about it. There are tons of animals that have "short" lifespans. For example many small gobies, annual killifish and praying mantises. No matter how much or how well you feed these animals they are destined to die at a certain point. It's evolution. Also, flame scallops are not scallops but are file clams.

album.php

I've had mine for 6 months now. He lives next to my lobo. He seems to be doin great. I feed him live phyto every couple of days.

I have a couple nps corals. I spot them several times a day. I'll do them same with the scallop. I didn't realize what I was getting into when I bought it due to my inexperience and the guy at the Lfs giving me completely wrong information on the scallop. So now I'm doin everything I can to try to give it a long life.

Last edited:
Well think about it. There are tons of animals that have "short" lifespans. For example many small gobies, annual killifish and praying mantises. No matter how much or how well you feed these animals they are destined to die at a certain point. It's evolution. Also, flame scallops are not scallops but are file clams.

Arg, I knew that... and geoduck are a type of razor clam... that I forgot last week as well. Loosing my shellfish knowledge :lol:

Back