Electronic HQI ballasts/Magnetic HQI

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12336057#post12336057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
I think many of the cheaper bulbs from the Orient may be the same way (except the pheonix it seems).
Yeah, and that's a confusing example. Now they proudly proclaim "Phoenix Electric Ltd, Japan"

First set I had they were the "cheap Asian rim imports"..........:eek1: :rolleyes: (which were strangely identical to Aquaconnects)

And they wonder why we drink :lol:

I’ve personally have only come across Chinese lamps from two manufacturers so far that were not M80/HQI European spec lamps. The Reeflux lamps could indeed be like one of these lamps. Before that article was composed Coralvue (Vue Technologies LLC) the importer was personally contacted by me about the lamps they offer but no technical information was given. The only information that was public is they can be run on M80 ballasts but this could mean they are not designed to M80/HQI European electrical standard but work.

Most of these overseas manufacturers will make lamps anyway you want. Most of the strange (none standardized) lamps like 250-watt DE lamps made to none M80/HQI European specs and 175-watt DE lamps come from these manufacturers. These lamps are OEM, imported by a North American company and many times the lamps get sold under the importers name. Sometimes it can be very difficult to get a straight answer from the importers. Some of the importers don’t even know what ballast the lamp is designed for or what electrical standard/spec they are built to but just test the lamps on various ballasts and find which works. This was the case when the first 400-watt DE lamps came in from China. I was personally contacted about these lamps. Again these lamps were found to be built to 2 different electrical standards.

The only 250-watt DE lamps I do not have electrical data or personally tested is the Reeflux lamps. The others listed in Table 2 in that article are indeed M80/HQI European electrical spec lamps.

If a lamp dims out or shifts in color rapidly this does not always mean the lamp is operated at the wrong electrical spec. The build quality (getter material, glass, halides, metals and gas filling purity) of lamps varies greatly from manufacturers. This plays a major role in the long term operation and stability. Generally lamps from China show an increased wear over time and this due to quality control and materials used.

Thanks PaulErik, as always your insight & expertise is excellent.....and very much appreciated.

The Reeflux bulbs I had did not shift color - they completely failed, burned out.

I had a tank crash & found no need (only fish) to change my last set for a long time..........close to 24 months & the phoenix still fire. Would seem they are spec'd correctly.

Interesting... in another thread, someone pointed out that if you read the inside of the Ushio packaging on their 250wattDE's, it actually states not to use the bulbs on ballasts with an operating frequency higher than 300Hz... which is just about every e-ballast out there!!!
DarG:
"They address ballasts as well as other information. They clearly state that their DE bulbs should not be run on electronic ballast with operating frequency over 300 HZ (which is every electronic ballast marketed for the hobby as far as I know). Many DE manufacturers recommend against the high operating frequencies for their HQI rated DE bulbs, not just Ushio. Part of the concern is harmonic resonance which is also stated inside the Ushio box. One possible effect of harmonic resonance is bulb flicker, which again, is also written inside the box. Im not saying that it is certain to happen with every bulb. But it is a know possibility and flicker isnt the only possible negative either. Possible shortened lamp life is another."

Last edited:
Back