Eliminating overflow in 140 - need advice

ttt64

I am in the process of re-siliconing my 140 gallon reef tank (24"x24"x48") and am considering eliminating one of the overflows. This will give more room for aquascaping and a better view into the tank from the end facing into the main room. Pros/Cons/Thoughts?

I think it sounds like a great idea; more room is always better. You may have less turnover in your tank, but perhaps you can compensate with a more powerful return pump. Since you're already handy with silicon, closing off the holes should be easy.

if I do this I would probably want a custom overflow for the one I keep to maximize linear overflow length for surface skimming and to box off the corner more cleanly. Any idea who can make one or has suggestions how to? Also, as far as plugging the holes for the overflow I am removing, I am thinking I would install bulkheads with silicone, then use pvc glue to glue in a cap. Anyone ever done this or have thoughts?

Also, as far as plugging the holes for the overflow I am removing, I am thinking I would install bulkheads with silicone, then use pvc glue to glue in a cap. Anyone ever done this or have thoughts?

If you plan to keep your options open for the future, then your bulkhead idea will work. If you don't care then 1/4" glass siliconed over the holes is more than enough for a permanent seal.

Good thought, any idea where to get a 6"x 11" piece of tempered glass? That would cover both the return and intake holes for the box I want to remove.

Good thought, any idea where to get a 6"x 11" piece of tempered glass? That would cover both the return and intake holes for the box I want to remove.

You want temper for strength or to have the thinnest patch possible?

No need for temper but if you want it most glass shops will cut and temper whatever size you want. You usually have to wait up to a week for tempering though. Replacement glass for halogen lamps is normally tempered but getting your size will be difficult and they are usually overpriced. Personally I would just cut some untempered glass and if I had strength concerns go thicker (although after 3/8" thickness cutting gets dicey).

I am still torn between plugging with bulkheads or glass patch. Of bulkheads would work I may be the simplest path for me. I just don’t want to deal with even minor leaks from a plug. I have seen some nice bulkheads with silicone gaskets that should do the trick just looking for input from anyone who has done this before.

Back