Engineer Goby

Izshocker

Engineer Goby are they reef safe?? From some of the things I've read they'll eat small inverts. Is this true? Not really worried about it doing right now as it's only about 2 inches long.

That's great. So much for the yeah these are reef safe from the lfs guys. Should know better then to listen to the freshwater dudes

Large individuals will eat ornamental shrimps and tinyl fishes. -freshmarine.com

They will eat very small fishes, crustaceans and worms, but otherwise leave larger-than-mouth size organisms totally alone. Reciprocally, all but the meanest of fishes leave them be, letting “live and let live” with the Pholidichthys residing in their dug out caverns and caves.

A good-sized system (at least a hundred gallons for three specimens) with plenty of rock d?or that is, importantly, set right on the bottom in a secure manner. All heavy objects should be set in the tank first, and substrate placed after… to prevent toppling as this species is superb in its undermining activity (hence the name “engineer”). -wetwebmedia.com

I've never had a problem with mine, he had a sexy shrimp (Thor amboinensis) that lived right at the entrance to my engineer's cave, the goby never even gave it a second look.

So it looks like it a hit or miss with these guys
I've heard a few stories of them going homicidal, but it seems more the exception then the rule. For the most part they are peaceful.

The tricky thing with them is they can be suicidal when it comes to digging. I had all of my rock resting on the glass. Set one 2lb rock on the sand while I tried to figure out a spot for it. Forgot about it for a few days. Came home to a tail sticking out from under the rock and the other Engineer going nuts. It survived but if the rock was any bigger it probably wouldn't have. If there is a rock they can dig under, they will dig out the rock just to explore whether it'd make a better home.

They won't hurt corals, but they do dig. And they don't all dig caves. Mine recently shifted from building caves to making pits. Corals on or close to the sand are at risk of being buried.

Mine is digging like crazy under the one rock. Kinda of funny when I fill some of it in and watching him/her going nuts digging it back out

Mine was about 18" and never bothered a thing . had three different shrimps, and some small fish. the warnings about them undermining your rock work is very valid. these things are digging machines ! I lost mine in a tank swap but still want another one. another warning would be to keep any corals off the sandbed that you don't want covered.

Fishpics037.jpg

his mug

tankpictures183.jpg

one of his overnight digs !

Hmmmm.... Think this guy took out both of my new peppermint shrimp. Showed way to much interest in them, when I put them in the tank. I have not seen them since.

check your tank after lights out with a flashlight.. good chance they are still there. how much are you feeding ? they do enjoy a good meal . keep them fat and happy

I have never NEVER heard of them doing anything but burying or stealing coral frags.

I had a huge one in my old 58g and he never did anything but dig, I have two large ones in my 300g now and they are the same.

All the ones I have ever seen or heard of are usually very reclusive and shy.

Just make sure all your rocks are on the glass and not on the sand and you will be fine.

Like xxtriggermanxx said check after lights out I have 6 in my sump and would never see them if I did not take a flashlight too it after lights out. I am sure they are hiding in there somewhere. Good luck.

Back