Epoxy problems

farfromsea

Hello everyone

Long story short I have issues gluing frags on my rock.

I have tried super glue gel but found I can only get this to work in dry air--not underwater.

Now facing a situation where I can't remove the rock to place the coral.

I bit the bullet and got Instant Ocean HoldFast (green epoxy). LFS guys told me they get it to work underwater in their tank...

Spent the past 15 minutes trying to remove epoxy from my gloves and shove it into a rock. The epoxy kept floating off and crumbled all over the aquarium. I think for now the frag is staying in place but it already fell off once and I had to get more epoxy to put it up again.

Is this normal or I am seriously inept?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/edJ8Lorgxi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thanks! I did watch that actually before starting to use the epoxy today. I mean it is pretty simple you activate the epoxy, shove it in a hole in the live rock etc etc. And I did that but for some reason it kept flying out of the rock like crazy . So far about an hour has passed and the frag hasn't fallen over but I'm going to wait until the AM to turn on my second power head.

I just don't understand how they managed to use gloves with the epoxy without having it all stick to them. I could barely get the epoxy out of the package so maybe instant ocean is just a terrible product?

I use both super glue and epoxy, but I use superglue the most. It just takes practice, when using superglue be sure to twist the frag once you get it in position or it wont stick.

I don't use gloves with it. I tear off a piece from the stick, dip it and both my hands into a cup of water to get it wet, and work the epoxy. Wet hands will keep it from sticking to your fingers. Keep them wet. If it starts to stick to your fingers, do another quick dip.
Then do the superglue sandwich. Make a ball of epoxy, make a small divot put a dab of superglue, push the bottom of the frag into the epoxy lightly so it conforms to the bottom, but still has some thickness to it. You can hold it in the water for a few seconds to help the superglue set up. Then add a dab of glue to the bottom of the epoxy and gently push it in place. Hold it there for 10-15 seconds until the glue sets up. Try not to move or work it too much. If the epoxy gets too thin, it wont hold. It also helps if the epoxy isn't super freshly activated. Let it start to get a little stiffer. Also, you can turn your powerheads off while its setting up.

Edit: Make sure you are using the gel superglue

I don't use gloves with it. I tear off a piece from the stick, dip it and both my hands into a cup of water to get it wet, and work the epoxy. Wet hands will keep it from sticking to your fingers. Keep them wet. If it starts to stick to your fingers, do another quick dip.
Then do the superglue sandwich. Make a ball of epoxy, make a small divot put a dab of superglue, push the bottom of the frag into the epoxy lightly so it conforms to the bottom, but still has some thickness to it. You can hold it in the water for a few seconds to help the superglue set up. Then add a dab of glue to the bottom of the epoxy and gently push it in place. Hold it there for 10-15 seconds until the glue sets up. Try not to move or work it too much. If the epoxy gets too thin, it wont hold. It also helps if the epoxy isn't super freshly activated. Let it start to get a little stiffer. Also, you can turn your powerheads off while its setting up.

Edit: Make sure you are using the gel superglue

Thanks! I guess the problem was my gloves were dry and once the epoxy was activated it stuck to my fingers. So far epoxy alone is holding. Next time I will try wet gloves and later if necessary the superglue sandwich. :)

Thanks to the others for the plumber's epoxy tip. Feeling a little regretful about spending $$ unnecessarily on reef epoxy now lol but oh well next time!

Has anyone had the epoxy harm the frag? I was told at a LFS in my area that it's risky putting the epoxy directly to the coral itself?

Corey

Epoxy problems

No. Most people actually suggest removing coral from the frag plug and dipping because there could be pests or eggs of pests on it. I don't have millions of corals or anything but all the ones I have directly applied epoxy or super glue to are still alive

Just put it on the bottom of the coral of course. Smothering it is not good ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously it will kill off the part of the coral that is actually covered by the epoxy, but at least IME it will quickly encrust right over the top of the epoxy.

Back