Equipment that has lasted the test of time and is still sold.

Glad yours lasted. My JBJ ATO died after 8 months. Contacted them, they said sorry only has a 6 month warranty and they don't repair them. That's what you get with orient made junk.

You do realize the components that count in ecotech and ati products are made in Asian countries as well right? Country of origin has little to do with it. Quality of design and components matter more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 19 year old tank with two mag drive 7 return pumps. I have only had to replace each of them once. They are the only brand return pumps I have owned, so I can't tell you how they compare to others in noise or anything, but they seem to be rock solid in reliability.

You do realize the components that count in ecotech and ati products are made in Asian countries as well right? Country of origin has little to do with it. Quality of design and components matter more

Chinese electronics are generally garbage and are throw aways if there is an issue. It is true some components could be made to high standards but not in aquarium electronics, they are cheap, mostly cheap copies of stolen designs. Unfortunately, harder and harder to find products that arent made from cheap chinese parts. Same applies to most chinese goods. In my industry, everything use to be made in NA, now all made in China. Poor quality and materials is their hallmark.

Chinese electronics are generally garbage and are throw aways if there is an issue. It is true some components could be made to high standards but not in aquarium electronics, they are cheap, mostly cheap copies of stolen designs. Unfortunately, harder and harder to find products that arent made from cheap chinese parts. Same applies to most chinese goods. In my industry, everything use to be made in NA, now all made in China. Poor quality and materials is their hallmark.

I guess my point is I don't know if any aquarium products that are actually produced 100% in North America outside of something simple like filter socks or tubing. My point was even the big "œreliable" American products (such as ecotech marine), or German giants like ATI and Giesemann have Asian circuitry, ballasts, and motors. They're not actually manufactured in the country of the company's ownership. They're just designed, distributed, and warranted domestically. Maxspect is a Chinese company, coralvue is just their chief American distributor.

Yes, JBJ makes cheap entry level gear, with a price point to reflect that. I'm glad mine has lasted for 7 years without even a float switch replacement. But I don't expect EVERY unit to last that long, even more expensive ones.

I haven't opened up any of the tunze gear I've owned to verify if any of their circuitry or motors are produced in Asian countries.

My point was that even products for this hobby which people classically think of a "œAmerican made" aren't really American made.

The Chinese will make products as good as you want them. You can get Apple quality if you want or you can get crap quality if your only willing to pay a small amount. The only problem is that paying a high price does not guarantee quality. If you do not monitor everything they do you will get crap and end up in problems. The natural tendency in China is to skim off as much as they can and do it as soon as an opportunity arises. Typically the most common scam is in the materials area. If something is supposed to be 92% Silver and 8% copper to make Sterling Silver the typical Chinese company will send out perfect batches for a period of time and then slowly the Silver content will drop and the copper will increase. If your not testing it constantly you will get the shaft.

The main difference I have found is Chinese products made for Export to USA or EU versus local consumption. These are two completely different items. The Export items are not that bad in most of the cases but the made for domestic use items are utter crap! I was traveling and bought a can opener that looked almost like a high quality Kitchen Aid brand can opener. I opened three cans with it over a one week period and on the third can the rotating teeth thing that spins the can just broke off! The metal shaft had broken in two.

As well as these items being sold all over China they sell this crap to third world countries and in Africa and Latin America. It's so cheaply built that you can expect it to work for maybe a few days or weeks before you need a new one. The one place you can buy this crap in America is eBay. In many cases it's market up by 200% but its the same crap.

Back