Eshopps R-100 refugium/sump 3rd Gen. - dilemma

MIIKE

Good day all, I left the hobby almost 10 years ago for a number of reasons (starting a family, moving, etc.), about 9 months ago I decided with the support of my wife to get back in "slowly". I'm going with a 90 gallon setup, because that was what I had when I left and it was the perfect size for us. Two weeks ago I picked up a used 90 gallon AGA drilled setup at a great price. It came with Stand, canopy, lights (AI SOLS) which I'll be selling I'm going to use two Hydra 26 HD's, wet/dry sump, cheap unknown brand return pump, and a Bubble Magnus NAC 6 skimmer).
Ever since deciding to get back in I've been doing my reading and research to try and do things right the first time, also during these past 9 months I have been slowly picking up equipment at various sales and deals that I knew I wanted to be "brand new" when it came time to set it up. One of these pieces of equipment was the R-100 refugium/sump. I got this brand new at a local LFS moving sale, it was the only one left and at $115.00 was kind of an impulse buy.

Here is where the dilema is. I did read at numerous sites that the return pump chamber is fairly small(3-1/2" wide), so when it came to ordering a return pump I made ever effort to find a small enough yet powerful enough pump to fit. I ended up going with a Jebao DCP 10000 and wouldn't you know it, its a 1/4" to wide. No matter what I do there is no way for it to slide down easily, I have read people stating they kinda force the pump down into the chamber because at 13" down into the chamber it widens to 4-1/2" wide. I'm not sure I want to do that, with my luck I'll get it in there however when I need to get it out I'll end up cracking or worse shattering the acrylic.:headwally:

With that said I would like to get everyone's input and opinion and any pros and cons on using the refugium chamber for my return pump since it is much larger, and the return pump chamber as the refugium. Basically flip flopping it or running it backwards.

One final thing to finish with, I know I said I want to do things right the first time and there has been a lot of debate about Jebao pump reliability. The reason I went with it is because I'm waiting for a sale to come along to pick up a good reliable brand of DC pump. Once I get my hands on one I will then keep the Jeboa as a backup and if the pump I buy is small enough to fit into the "return pump chamber" I switch it back to the way it was designed to work.

Thanks

I'm not sure this would work very well with the "channel" system used by Eshopps. The fuge compartment bypasses the skimmer compartment, so you'd be getting little use from your skimmer.

Rio 2500

Rio 2500

Hi, I have the same setup - 90 gallon and the RS 100. The return area is very small as you noted and the only pump I found that fit and could handle decent flow/head was a RIO 2500. Yea, I know all about the bad RIO press but I've had mine running non-stop for 15 months w/o a problem though I've probably just jinxed me!. Anyway, its an option that would fit, provide decent flow, and allows you to use the RS 100 as intended. It's pretty inexpensive too so I bought a backup just in case this one failed. Note, the RIO 2500 is the UL rated one - it's the smaller non-UL rated ones that could be problematic. Good luck!

Oh, just wanted to add some more specifics in addition to the RIO 2500 - I use an Oct INT 110 skimmer with the RS 100, its a 90 gallon mixed reef, about 4' of head loss from sump to DT. All I can say is when I left this AM for work, all were working!:)

Back