ETSS Skimmer Club!

I think I need to get some different bioballs...seems like I can skim like crazy for a week or so, then it sorta dies off...I am having an algae problem so I don't think my water is so clean that there's nothing left to skim :confused:

I don't have a clear tower, but I don't think I'm getting this type of foam:

Reeftank003-2.jpg

Sump Buddy 60 driven with a Rio 2500+ from this thread
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1678510

-Eric

So I'm taking Gary's (and other's on in this thread) advice and am actively looking for a Mag 7 to run my Reef Devil Deluxe with. I have a few 9.5's available but I believe they're too much flow for this skimmer.

I'm not getting anywhere near the constant production that I used to with this skimmer...and like I mentioned it skims well for a week or so then sorta poops out - will continue to foam without any real production other than mud on the walls.

I'm not wholly convinced it's my Rio 2500+ as the output is very similar to the Mag 7, but I did find a chart showing the Mag has a greater PSI than the Rio (5.7 vs. 4.1) and these skimmers do need a pressure rated pump.

I have been thinking the problem is with the bio balls, like others here, and when I contacted Gary he wanted $3.95 for 12 mini bio balls and $9.95 shipping (?!?!)...I would think 12 mini's would fit in a bubble pack for a dollar or so.

Regarding the old production, in my other set up I never adjusted the skimmer and it would routinely pull a quart or so of skimmate weekly. The main difference was that the bio balls were in the tower without any fishing line connecting them together. As the skimmer was in a Rubbermaid stock tank sump, it was easy to get to if need be...in my new set up it's hard plumbed under the stand so there wouldn't be an easy way to get the bio balls out if I needed to.

I've included a pic below of the initial set up, since then I've used dfferent bio balls and connected them loosely directly through the center...in the pic below you can see that I tied to the edge. I'm thinking the bil balls aren't allowed to sit or move freely in the tower.

Any ideas on how I should connect them together?

-Eric

IMG_9399.jpg

Well mine has been up and running for a while now and I'm not losing any performance because of the bio balls.
I would try to get some Lee's "Bio Pin Balls" Large. Supper glue them together like I did.

I usually remove my tower every 2 or 3 weeks to clean and un-compact the bio balls. After I do this, it makes a HUGE difference in foam production. It takes me about 15 minutes to do. So, IMO, wuth the bio balls compacted, skimmer foam production falls off sharply over time.

I've got about 15 gallons of the bio balls (pictured above) that stack on top of each other similar to legos. This should prevent any of the compacting that seems to be occuring.

I'm new and can't sell anything on here yet but would love to share if I could.

I'll be setting my Evo 750 up mid Sep then will probably sell the bio balls on Ebay in bulk.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15502012#post15502012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by C-21 Usaf
I've got about 15 gallons of the bio balls (pictured above) that stack on top of each other similar to legos. This should prevent any of the compacting that seems to be occuring.

I'm new and can't sell anything on here yet but would love to share if I could.

I'll be setting my Evo 750 up mid Sep then will probably sell the bio balls on Ebay in bulk.

I'll buy some if the price is decent!

PM me if interested.

Thanks!

-Eric

I'm thinking of ditching my needlewheel. Those of you who have run both the needle wheel and the downdraft. Is it worth the switch? I have ran a EuroReef, ASM, Bermuda, Bubble Magus and a ETSS when I couldn't regulate my sump level. My sump problems have been resolved. Please, only those who have ran both respond.

I've been told, on this thread, that, although the needlewheel skimmers use less energy, they won't touch a downdraft. At one time i had thought of switching to a Vertex Omega 250 but i think i'll stick with my ETSS 1000 for now...;.it works GREAT!

To all you ETSS fans im also one too I have many different models over the last 8 years. My question is I came a cross an old model that has been discontinued for about 5 years now on ebay was not sure if the skimmer listing was right ETSS 600 REEF DEVIL. I did win the skimmer needs a few little things to get it going right but nothing to hard to find here is the link to the page on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280381921853&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IThttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280381921853&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

thanks jjk_reef00

but a few pic are making me wonder if its reall you know well as i do etss never put a kinda clear downdraft tubes if you look as some of the pic they look smoked an others there black. may be its just me but i look that these pic really good there is a lot of stuff that really shows its an ets skimmer but the tube pic are barthering me

I have had my 600 xr pro running for over two months now and couldnt be more happy. It is very easy to adjust and once you have it dialed in you dont have to mess with it. Here are some pics

600.jpg

skimmer.jpg

Not being a smart guy. You know, needle wheels are set it and forget it. If that's the advantage to running these skimmers then maybe we should save some power and run needle wheels.

I've got my etss reef devil deluxe up and running. It is submerged in my sump with a Mag 7. It is amazing the amount of water running through this thing. It comes with a problem though the mag is raising the temperature on my water all ready. I remember now this is one of the reasons I stopped using mine. Can anyone recommend a pump that will not increase my water temp compared to a needle wheel? The mag seems to have a heat issue.

The other downside to the downdraft design that I remember is that it is finicky. Sometimes it would skim other times it would not. That could be related to the fact that I couldn't regulate my sump height. The needle wheels that I have used recover very fast. If you put your hands in the tank it takes hours for the skimmer to start working again as my first use suggest.

you have an entry level skimmer there,the bigger pro models are much more impressive imo,an external pump would solve your heat issues

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15536427#post15536427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geno7
I'm thinking of ditching my needlewheel. Those of you who have run both the needle wheel and the downdraft. Is it worth the switch? I have ran a EuroReef, ASM, Bermuda, Bubble Magus and a ETSS when I couldn't regulate my sump level. My sump problems have been resolved. Please, only those who have ran both respond.

I've run almost every kind of skimmer.... I've never seen a system as healthy as those running the larger (600+) ETSS models, I would imagine the dissolved oxygen is much, much higher..... Even compared to running a few BKs, while their power consumption is much more favorable, the water just never sparkled like with an ETSS 1000, or even 600

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15547570#post15547570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjk_reef00
Ehiem pumps are much better than mags if you cannot use an external pump.

I would agree that Eheim's are superior pumps...I have a very old 1060 that still runs like new!

I didn't use it on my skimmer as according to AE Tech they don't have enough pressure to run an ETSS skimmer to its potential.

-Eric

still have a brand new sump buddy 40 available ....never seen water..shoot me a pm...IF you know someone who wants one..

Back