ETSS Skimmer Club!

downdraft

downdraft

turbulance doesn't matter on downdraft skimmers.

needlewheels rely on the fine bubbles gently bringing the crap to the top,downdrafts use the bubbles to throw the crap out the top.
thats why high pressure is used.
if you put a bubble plate in a downdraft ,you may lose production.

I just happened on this thread and it's great. I have three etss skimmers.
Two 800's and a 1400. I'm running the 800's with Iwaki 55rlts and the 1400 with a Panworld 250ps. The 1400 really kicks some butt on my big system, but the 800's aren't the greatest. I'm going to end up selling one of the 800 setups and have bought an Iwaki 70rlt that I'm going to try on the other one.

I'm not happy with the collection cup drain either and haven't come up with a solution yet. The hose always pinches at the base and probably hinders performance.

anybody here running a model 2000 and if so what is your pump??

I'm running a 1400 and am using a 250ps Panworld. Too much pump IMO. I'm always closing the air intakes to dry it out. I bet it would be perfect for the 2000. Also the Iwaki 100rlt (I think same specs).

im definitely sticking with etss in the future. it pulls X4 times more than my rs100 and i dont have to clean it every other day. this thing pulls amphipods!! see one every time i dump the cup.

I'm running a 1400 and am using a 250ps Panworld. Too much pump IMO. I'm always closing the air intakes to dry it out. I bet it would be perfect for the 2000. Also the Iwaki 100rlt (I think same specs).

I think I'm having the same issue. When you say too much is there turbulence in the riser? I get big air bubbles that "throw the crap over" but it is throwing too much.

turbulance doesn't matter on downdraft skimmers.

needlewheels rely on the fine bubbles gently bringing the crap to the top,downdrafts use the bubbles to throw the crap out the top.
thats why high pressure is used.
if you put a bubble plate in a downdraft ,you may lose production.

I don't want a traditional bubble plate. I want one that will reduce the big air bubbles throwing crap. It should gently bubble over with dry bubbles. My ETSS 1500 did that when I had the Iwaki 100 on it. Probably because I think the pump is a perfect size, and maybe a little undersized.

My ETSS 5000 has a 1.5 hp pump. The air in the riser is crazy and I can see big air bubbles breaking the dry foam.

IMO, a bubble plate with moderately large holes wouldn't reduce performance. It would just break up those large air bubbles and help to produce dryer bubbles at the top.

I'm having a issue with my Reef Devil . Yesterday i cleaned the bio balls inside the chamber . After doing so the collection cup will fill up with clear water. but it's foam that goes into the cup but clear liquid. when i clean I didn't adjust anything . I'm running it with a iwaki 20rlt. Can someone help me don't know what to do now.

Okay i did close the vavle a little so pump isn't a full thorotle . now when you wet skim is it suppose to be crystal clear water in the cup.

Okay i did close the vavle a little so pump isn't a full thorotle . now when you wet skim is it suppose to be crystal clear water in the cup.

No it should have some tint. Is your gate valve on your skimmer all the way open? I don't think you shouldn't have to throttle your pump back. After I clean my skimmer I usually have to open the gate valve a little bit so it doesn't pull clear water (as you describe).

Yes the gate vavle is completely open . and the water is still clear , but it still foaming into cup.

Wow, then rigleautomotive is right you have to throttle back the pump a little bit. At least you know you are pushing the skimmer to its limits. With these skimmer a larger than recommended pump is much better than an undersized pump.

I don't understand what is happening because I had the iwaki 20rlt on it for 2 months with vavle wide open and it has performed like it should. I cleaned the bio balls and this happens . I see why people say " IF IT AIN"T BROKE DON'T FIX IT"

it will return to normal in a couple days.if it doesnt,remove the balls and try to place them in loosely to see if that helps [/QUOTE
Well the balls are lose in there now. I believe that they were in there tight once I took them out to clean them now there lose getting too much air. Hopefully the sit in there and get back to normal.

Is it sitting in your sump? And, if so, how deep is the water level in that compartment? With the valve fully open the water level shouldn't even be up to the neck unless the water level is a bit too high in the sump. Mine was and I raised the skimmer up a little and it gave me a lot more control using the gate valve.

Back