ETSS Skimmer Club!

reefdevil

reefdevil

thats a good skimmer.
it's a reefdevil
rated for up to 175 gallons
run it with a mag 7 and you will definately need to prop it up higher.
your sump water level should be under the red handle
you should be able to run the water level inside the skimmer even with the top of the skimmer box(large round clear water chamber).
go to www.superskimmer.com and download the instructions.

I have had a couple etss systems and when ever In stray from their recommendations I end up regretting it. Go with the Iwaki 100rlt and you will not be disappointed in the long run knowing its the right pump. IMHO

I just picked up at ETSS2000, going by ratings I have a Mag24 1700gph at 5'. Am I close to running enough pump?

Not a chance in the world a Mag will drive that skimmer. You have to go with an Iwaki/Panworld/Bluelind HD pump or you may as well use a different skimmer.

On the Reef Devil: yeah, raise the skimmer up as per jrmx635's post.

Don't ever power your etss with a mag, because mags are not pressure rated!
WethandsCT, I would even consider a stronger pump than the Iwalki 100 if your bio load is heavy. What size tank/ what do you plan on keeping in there?
I like the reeflo pumps, a lot cheaper and work just as well. Contact ETSS to find the target water flow at a specific head. Then contact reeflo to find the correct pump. Reeflo is very helpful and they have some great new pumps.

Ideally you want the entire skimmer above the water level in your sump. Build a stand for you simmer and you will see dramatic improvements.

I've tried a number of skimmers over the years, from a berlin skimmer, ASM, Euro-Reef, ESV and a custom downdraft/becket model, I've modded several of them for recirculation. I've gone back to a downdraft. They seem much easier to tune, Just picked up a 800 Gemini for my 120.

I've tried a number of skimmers over the years, from a berlin skimmer, ASM, Euro-Reef, ESV and a custom downdraft/becket model, I've modded several of them for recirculation. I've gone back to a downdraft. They seem much easier to tune, Just picked up a 800 Gemini for my 120.

That is what scares me about trying other skimmers. I'm always changing something on my tank, the last thing I want to worry about is fiddling with my skimmer. ETSS is so easy, just turn the knob. It is also easy to adjust between wet skimmate and dry. The only thing is that when I skim dry I have to clean the skimmer more often.

I just picked up at ETSS2000, going by ratings I have a Mag24 1700gph at 5'. Am I close to running enough pump?

I'm running an etss 1400 with a Panworld 250ps (similar in ratings to the Iwaki 100rlt) and it's the right pump for me (didn't think so at first, but it's broken in and skimming lots of dark stuff). The lady who had it before me used a Mag 24 and she sold it as a package deal. I'm sure it sucked with that pump. Not pressure rated as others have said. I sold the Mag 24 and used the 250 instead. Great combo.

My buddy called the owner of etss and asked what pump to use for a 2000 and he said the Iwaki 100rlt. He wanted to upgrade to a 2500 with a longer neck and the guy said a 1/2hp pool pump would be needed.

One more tip from the owner: If your pump is too weak, remove some bioballs and it will reduce friction (reduces the amount of small bubbles too, though). Too much pump, add some bioballs. At least this is how I understood it (got it second hand from a buddy). He seems pretty accessible and very friendly. I spoke with him on another issue. Good guy.

Last edited:
I'm running an etss 1400 with a Panworld 250ps (similar in ratings to the Iwaki 100rlt) and it's the right pump for me (didn't think so at first, but it's broken in and skimming lots of dark stuff). The lady who had it before me used a Mag 24 and she sold it as a package deal. I'm sure it sucked with that pump. Not pressure rated as others have said. I sold the Mag 24 and used the 250 instead. Great combo.

My buddy called the owner of etss and asked what pump to use for a 2000 and he said the Iwaki 100rlt. He wanted to upgrade to a 2500 with a longer neck and the guy said a 1/2hp pool pump would be needed.

One more tip from the owner: If your pump is too weak, remove some bioballs and it will reduce friction (reduces the amount of small bubbles too, though). Too much pump, add some bioballs. At least this is how I understood it (got it second hand from a buddy). He seems pretty accessible and very friendly. I spoke with him on another issue. Good guy.

Yes, reeflo has some nice industrial pumps if you plan on running it that way. They are very reasonably priced as well. My commercial pump costed me less than my Iwalki did and I don't think it is any lounder. The sound is just more low pitch.

I recently upgraded from the 800 to the 1400. Initially, I set it up on the Iwaki 70rlt pump, tuned it in and it proved to be a great skimmer, hands down. As most of us, I am a tweak'er...lmao. I see that the skimmer can take an iwaki 100rlt....so be it. I put one on today an quickly realized I am pumping ~ 1900 gpm through a skimmer.......holy smokes.... It took me about 10 min to swap out the 70 to the 100. Initially it was a little tame as you may expect having my hands in the water and such. I looked on about two hours later and holy wet skimate batman. Anyway, the drain is wide open and now I am worried this thing will flood me out while asleep. Can anyone chime in as to where they are unning their set up? I have mine elevated so that the drain is above the sump level. I have ball valves on the air intakes as well as the pump supply side. C'mon 1400 owners.....lets hear what you have seen...please

Kind Regards,

--Rich

Do you have the waste collector cup? It will shut down the skimmer when it is full.
Also you can cut the air intake down a lot and that should reduce the amount of bubbles you get. Also I have a ball valve on the output of my pump, you could add one and cut the pump back a little until you adjust it properly. I've noticed these skimmers don't produce quite as much skimmate after they get a little dirty so yours may just be breaking in. If I'm not mistaken, you are not pumping 1900 gph, the etss skimmers have high head, so the rate is actually much less, but still extremely high.

Hello all. Been browsing RC for over a year now, but never really chimed in. I have a question for the ETSS pros out there. I currently run an Evolution 500 with an Iwaki 20RLT on my 150 sps/clam tank. It skims well. I get a really nice dry foam and can fill a milk gallon container of nasty @#$! in a little over a week's time. I have a fairly heavy bioload: 1 yellow tang, 1 achilles tang, 1 sailfin desjardini, maroon clown with BTA, 5 chromis, a sixline wrasse, two lyretail anthias and a royal gramma. All parameters seem fine. NO3 and PO4 both undetectable and corals are growing steadily. I am getting a little green film on my glass every few days; probably from the Cyclop-eez and Zooplankton supplement that I feed my corals with. I was wondering what you guys thought of jumping to an etss 600 or even the 900xr. Any thoughts? I'd never go with another brand; needle wheel, pin wheel, wagon wheel....whatever!!! ETSS is just too darn easy to set and forget. Thanks in advance.

The pump is rated at 2000 gpm......I didnt think to add the skimmer head.....additional pressure?

It is 2000 gph, not gpm. Hes there is considerable skimmer head, due to the height of the skimmer and the water being forced down through the bio-balls. Thus creating the bubbles. The ETSS 5000 requires a pump that can deliver 5000 gph @ 12psi. That is almost 30 feet. I run a 1.5hp commercial pump that is over 7000 gph @ 0psi, but 5000 @ 12psi.

Hello all. Been browsing RC for over a year now, but never really chimed in. I have a question for the ETSS pros out there. I currently run an Evolution 500 with an Iwaki 20RLT on my 150 sps/clam tank. It skims well. I get a really nice dry foam and can fill a milk gallon container of nasty @#$! in a little over a week's time. I have a fairly heavy bioload: 1 yellow tang, 1 achilles tang, 1 sailfin desjardini, maroon clown with BTA, 5 chromis, a sixline wrasse, two lyretail anthias and a royal gramma. All parameters seem fine. NO3 and PO4 both undetectable and corals are growing steadily. I am getting a little green film on my glass every few days; probably from the Cyclop-eez and Zooplankton supplement that I feed my corals with. I was wondering what you guys thought of jumping to an etss 600 or even the 900xr. Any thoughts? I'd never go with another brand; needle wheel, pin wheel, wagon wheel....whatever!!! ETSS is just too darn easy to set and forget. Thanks in advance.

IMO you cannot over skim. I was running a etss 1500 on about 500 total gallons very heavily stocked. It was doing a good job. I then got a great deal on a used ETSS 5000 and the jump between the two skimmers was amazing. I'm sure if you upgrade you will also notice a tremendous increase in skimmer performance. I would recommend the upgrade if you don't mind burning the extra electricity, you may be able to find a used one on RC if you are willing to wait.

I also love the set and forget. I've never tried another high end skimmer so I cannot compare with other brands. I'm curious what other users have experienced when comparing etss with other high end brands.

Thanks.

AE Tech's website states it guarantees SPS quality water in a 180. I know I'm 30 gallons shy of that in the display, but I also have a substantial amount of fish; not something I think they account for.

I think I'll try and locate the 900 xr. I really like the look of the tall tower. Are these ozone safe? I really don't mind spending the cash if there will be a substantial improvement in performance. I don't want to starve growing fish and corals for the sake of water quality. I'd rather feed them till they're happy and skim like there's no tomorrow. As for electric, the calculation in wattage use over a one month period is about $4.00 (I think I can swing that). Would the 900xr be worth the extra money, or should I just go for the 600. Or bigger?

Alex, They are ozone safe but the manufacturers admit it is not the best way to apply o3. The flow rates on these systems are very high - to fast for good o3 introduction

Back