ETSS Skimmer Club!

More bio balls = less air mixing. Recommended to have relatively less balls if you have a relatively larger pump.

If you haven't seen it yet the mfgr (AETech) has a decent tuning guide that goes into this.

-Matt

Matt:

Quoted directly from the tuning guide on superskimmer.com (AETech):

"Bioball Note: Smaller pumps and a lower flow rate through the skimmer requires less bioballs. This creates
more air flow. Producing a larger volume to the waste foam. Fill the skimming tower about half way with bioballs.
Larger pumps and high flow rates needs more bioballs. This reduces the foam volume to manageable levels in
the foam collector section. Fill the skimming tower to 2/3 full or up to 6" maximum from the top of the skimming
tower.
"

I've gone with fewer (8) on a Reef Devil Deluxe with a smallish Mag7 and have had better results than the suggested 12 and a larger pump.

-Eric

I have an Eshopps ADV 200 and an ETSS protien skimmer (not sure on the model) the tank is a 200gal with 2 overflows and returns. I need 2 return pumps and a pump to run the skimmer. I am also thinking about getting a fluidized bed reacter. What pumps should i get for these things and can they be linked? Someone suggested to me 1800 gph, is that right? Attached is picture of sump and skimmer. I dont have them yet so cant get a better pic of the skimmer.

Attachments

• eshopps2.jpg
    eshopps2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 3
So I am trying to figure out if this an older reef devil? I picked up a blueline 30 to power it and I have to throttle it way back.
DSC_7815.jpg

I have the same skimmer too, just bought it for my 100g setup. Is this skimmer enough for my 100g??? Or do I need a bigger one? Please let me know...

Thanks in advance!!

Suggestions

Suggestions

I've been running a Octo 5000 cone for about 2 yrs now on a 315 filled with large fish. I've been trying to get to a sps tank but PO4 levels will not stay down. No nitrate to speak of, but pO4 always goes back up to .1 ish. I am thinking of going to an ETSS skimmer hoping to break down more PO4. Any suggestions on the size? Anyone with similar issues?

I've been running a Octo 5000 cone for about 2 yrs now on a 315 filled with large fish. I've been trying to get to a sps tank but PO4 levels will not stay down. No nitrate to speak of, but pO4 always goes back up to .1 ish. I am thinking of going to an ETSS skimmer hoping to break down more PO4. Any suggestions on the size? Anyone with similar issues?

I ran two 600 gallon systems that had worse PO4 issues - one hung around .12, the other aroun .22. Also no nitrate to speak of. One had an ETSS 1400 with Iwaki 100 pump, the other a monster MRC MR-4R recirculator.

I would not look to a skimmer for your solution unless there's something wrong with yours. FWIW, the cone shape is ripping you off of some significant capacity vs a traditional cylinder shaped body. Cones and bubble plates are sales gimmicks that add little to nothing to performance. Not sure I'd necessarily use that as a criteria for changing skimmers either since you already have it in place.

If you feel you must upgrade, i would go for a better needle-wheel like those linked above. The MRC and ETSS designs are a bit old fashioned at this point. Not that they do not work, just that they take up a lot of space vs the needle-wheels. That doesn't account for the increased time to maintain these designs - which is another minus.

If you aren't already maybe try wet-skimming for a few months and see if you make any headway. You will get more waste out that way. Likewise if you can commit to more frequent cleanings. A dirty skimmer is like a skimmer with one hand tied behind its back. ;)

Also, if your sand bed is more than a few years old, i'd also consider looking there - possibly replacing it altogether. (Or eliminating it.) it's a likely place for excess nutrients to collect and it's very cheap to replace compared to most other possible solutions.

-Matt

Air filter/valve

Air filter/valve

Can I ask what people are using for an air valve on the air intakes on an ETS? Anyone using the air filter? Looking to quite the air intakes down a bit and perhaps have some ability to adjust air flow.

Thanks.

I simply attached 6ft of tubing to the air intake, it is coiled (loosely) so it doesn't take up too much space, or restrict air flow, but it effectively silences the skimmer air intake.

all

i have an etss 800, two years old, and an etss 900, its prolly four years old. both work great. i upgraded to an 2000. need to sell these. would be happy to get 200 for each plus shipping if anybody is interested!! message me if so, i can send pictures on request.

matt

I have a etss 800 professional plumbed into an eshopps e300 sump. The tank is 265 gallon. Unfortunately, due to space issues, I need to have everything plumbed in the stand. I am using an iwaki 40 to supply the skimmer. Due to my space issue the skimmer is at sump level plumbed directly on the side of the sump, therefore my skimmer water level is too high. Any other options besides rising the skimmer as I dont have that option to elimiate the problem. Secondly I just cleaned the skimmer neck two days ago and now I am not getting any foam. Any input is greatly appreciated

Some how you have to get the return to pitch down some . If you cleaned the neck really good, then it is normal to not get foam for a 3 to 4 days . Next time just lightly wipe with a wet paper towel to leave some of the clear film on the neck . Should recover 1 to 2 days .

I always only rinse the neck under fresh water and wipe it with paper towel, but I will give it 48 hours. As far as getting the pitch down some what do you mean ? I guess I could raise my skimmer in the stand about 3 inches but that would leave me with a plumbing problem with a bulkhead thats too low. The issue with the Eshopp sump is that they hold a lot of water at a high level.

Reduce the flow into the skkimmer. I think it's more bio-balls in the towers for lower flow (more foam) and less balls in the towers for high flow.

Reduce the water level on the sump somehow also an option.

i removed the bio balls, cleaned them put six bio balls on each side and turned the flow down, will let you know how it works out

So I have noticed this guy will be trucking right along and then the bubbles will collapse. If I just leave it alone everything comes back but it takes hours. Anyone know why it does this?

I think you have to raise your skimmer out of the sump a bit. It seems way to low to me. IMO

Back