ETSS Skimmer Club!

well after many changes i am back on track on getting this thing to work. I think i got it working. Trick is let it run for about 2 days - 3 days to start bubbling up in the chamber (with valve all the way open) then after that raise the water level in the riser 1" from the bottom of the riser. Do not raise the level to the middle of the riser. You will flood your house. (when it breaks in the bubbles will run up 4" to 5" in the riser over night and will over flow the skimmer) let it run for about 1 day. You will see the foam will start moving up the riser. Adjust at 1/4 turn per day till you get it past the halfway point. After that 1/8 turns per day till you get it collect waste in the waste cup. The number 1 thing with these skimmer is patience. Once you get it set then your good to go.

+1 this is key!!!!! Patience!!!!!!

Please help! We just got an ETSS 1000 XR skimmer for our reef club's Tanks in Schools program. The only thing is the skimmer is missing the injector that sits atop the tower. I am proficient with acrylic and PVC construction and see how the injector is made. The only spec I really need is the ID of the nozzle the water sprays from. Can anyone tell me what size the ID of the injector is on the top of an an ETSS 1000 XR?

Hello All,

So I first posted this as a new thread in the equipment section of the forum, but didn't get any replies. Then I stumbled across this thread and thought I'd move it to hear to see if I could get some help. Any knowledge from ETSS owner is much appreciated.

This was my first post on reef central, I'm really looking forward to this forum.

I have a ETSS 1000 skimmer on my 120 gallon FOWLR tank. The tank has a 75 gallon sump in my basement, and a 5 gallon RDSB. I would guess that the total water volume with the piping and sump is close to 170 gallons. I know the skimmer is rated for much more than that.

I've had the skimmer up and running for several months now, and just haven't been able to dial it in. I am running a blueline 100 to power the skimmer and have the recommended number of bio balls on the mixing chamber.

I find that I can produce a dry foam, but very little skimmate volume. I have a gate valve on both the outlet of the skimmer and on the outlet of the pump. I have the valve on the pump completely open and use the valve on the skimmer to control skimmate production / level in the skimmer.

I've noticed a couple things with the skimmer adjustments and operation:

1. Foam production seems to cycle. What I mean by this is that the foam in the uppper part of the mixing chamber will build, purge and then drop back down. I am assuming this has something to do with the surface tension of the water being altered as the foam builds over time.

2. Secondly, once I am able to make dry foam consistently, if I close the gate valve (even 1/16th of a turn), the foam goes from extremely dry to very wet.

I know a lot of people swear by these skimmers and I'd really like to make this thing work. If any of you have experience with these or know of any tricks, i'd really appreciate it.

I have spent time going over the ETSS website and guides that they have put out, but haven't been able to dial this piece of equipment in as of yet. I have a list of tank inhabitants below.

Tank inhabitants:

2 purple tilefish
1 Juvinile Queen Angel - 3.5"
1 Blue Throat Trigger- 4.5"
5 Green Chromis
1 Eibli Angel - 3"
1 Moorish Idol - 3.5"
1 Diamond Goby - 3.5"

Soon to be added - Golden Butterfly, in its third week of quarantine, 3 more to go.

The tank is fed two to three times a day with a combination of Sea Veggies, ON Forumla 2, ON Angel Formula, and PE Mysis.

Appreciate the help in advance, for the money I spend on electricity, I'd really like to see this thing work.

Thanks,

Matt

Etss 1000

Etss 1000

Post pictures of your set up. It will help us visualize whats going on. I had an ETSS 800 pro and recently switched to a super reef octopus xp5000. It is common with the ETSS that when you feed, or put your hands in the tank t clean or fix something it loses foam production. It takes anywhere from 2 hours to 24 hours to start foaming again. By posting pictures we may be able to determine its a height problem and you skimmer may be mounted to low. That was a problem with mine as it was mounted under the stand.

What would the prefered ETSS skimmer be for a 65 gallon full on SPS tank? I had a ETSS years ago and loved it. Thinking about maybe going back. I just dont want to have to run a energy guzzling pump on it!

The key to your comment is you had one years ago and loved it. Technology has changed and now cone skimmers are much better and efficient. I had an ETS 800 pro and loved it until I switched to a reef octopus xp 5000 and was lown away. ETS is an amazing skimmer and I am surprised they have not introduced a line of efficient cone skimmers yet but look at all your options before you decide

They have not introduced cone skimmers because its a falacy! Cone skimmers do nothing for efficiency...................

Got a quick question guys. I got an ETSS 600XR used. It has the Becket mod, so it doesn't use bioballs. My question is this:

Can I run my return and my skimmer off of a Mag24?

This is on a 120g RR tank with dual returns, though I might change that. The tank is only 4' wide and I'm using a 40 breeder for my sump. This only leaves me with under 12" inside the stand. Would prefer not to use an external for the skimmer and another pump for the return.

What do you guys think?

while the website says that pumps should be dedicated I do run a feed from my over sized skimmer pump to a frag tank and it works for my 800 i can imagine a mag24 is over kill for the tank or the skimmer alone so I think I personally would give it a try.

Hmm, thanks for the info.

I should probably also add that I'll be running a few things off the mag24

Skimmer - ETSS600
Return - dual 3/4"
Fuge
Manifold for reactors

Would this change your recommendation?

Pump Manufacturer Question

Pump Manufacturer Question

All,

I haven't posted here for a while and am looking for input on external pumps.

I run a Reef Devil Deluxe on a Mag7, and while this has been sufficient for my 72g bow from I am in the process of upgrading to a 120 gallon. 120 is at the top end of recommended tank sizes for the Reef Devil Deluxe and sps so I need to maximize the output from the skimmer.

ETSS suggests the Iwaki 20 RLT or Blue Line 20HD for my skimmer.

Is there much difference in external pumps when looking at pressure rated? Iwaki, Blue Line, Little Giant, etc?

In looking at the specs the Iwaki seems to have the greatest system pressure @ 10 PSI.

Thoughts?

Feeding Skimmer and Tank Return from Same Pump?

Feeding Skimmer and Tank Return from Same Pump?

I answered my question from my previous post based on research - 1. Iwaki Japanese, 2. Iwaki American/Panworld (tied). 3.The rest

Based on this I went in search of an Iwaki 20RLT and came across an Iwaki MD-55RLT:

Max Flow: 18.4GPM (1104GPH) Max Head: 26.9FT Max Sys Pressure: 17.1PSI

My initial plan was to use a 20RLT as a dedicated skimmer pump and something else as a tank return. This pump seems to have the horsepower to feed both the skimmer and the return as I'm looking for +/- 450gph for the return.

Will I run into issues? ETSS wants a dedicated pressure pump for their skimmers - my assumption is that this pump will deliver the pressure for the skimmer as well as create the +/- 450 gph I'm looking for in the return. Based on the head loss calculator the 55RLT would only drop to 922 gph (from 1104) feeding my 120g so there should be plenty left for the skimmer - possibly enough to start shopping for a larger ETSS.

Thoughts? Please share!

-Eric

Running a 600 ETSS since 2003

Running a 600 ETSS since 2003

Running skimmer from 6pm to 6am with 14 bio balls on a Pan America 50x pump. Ran the same 600 on my 180 with an Iwaki 40rlt until I downsized last year to a 110 gallon tank. The 600 skimmer can be adjusted to the tank size with the amount of balls and pump. Have learned to change the bio balls every 6 to 8 months to keep the skimmer at its best :bounce1:

question for etss users!! I added a cup of biopellets to my reactor 7 days ago. my skimmer, a 1400 with 12" extentions, immediately stopped skimming and hasnt kicked back in since!! any body running bio pellets with an etss? anybody have this problem? it seems to work for an hour or so after feedings then nothing again. Ive had bio pellets for some time now, and this has never happened!!

thoughts?

Back