ETSS Skimmer Club!

ETSS Downdraft model?

ETSS Downdraft model?

where can I find a model number on my skimmer. I just bought a used system and this skimmer is doing great but I want to find some info on settings and bioballs in a skimmer? New to me. looking at pictures it kinda looks like a sumpbuddy 60 with the slide gate.

thanks

Jason

I worked in the foreclosure field for many years. Just still use it.

Also this skimmer is nasty but working. should I take it apart and clean it or just let it be?

sump buddy help

sump buddy help

I have a etss skimmer that keeps overflowing. it will pull 1-1.5 gal of water out in about 20 min. It was working fine, then stopped producing. Took it out and cleaned it. There was about 4-5 mini bio balls in it. When I put it back in it is overflowing. I even opened the gate all the way up and still open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what model you have. But how did you go about cleaning it? Seems that may well be the cause.

Also, you will need to replace the bioballs every 8-12 months. But that is usually indicated by lack of production.

skimmer help

skimmer help

I think its a sumpbuddy 40 or 60. I only see the etss sticker on it but that is what it looks like in the pictures i pulled up. the only difference is my tube that the bio balls go it is black not clear. Is there markings on it somewhere? I put 5 new full size balls in it thismorning but turned it off. Didn't want to come home to an overflow mess on the floor. As far as cleaning. I just rinsed it and wiped out the tube and cup. does it make a difference on using the mini bio balls vs the regular full size? Thanks

Just a reminder/pointer esp for those with 800 and larger...

I had noticed slow production and slow air flow. So went to change bioballs. When only a few came out I used a yardstick to pry loose. I have the 1000. I use 53 bioballs. Well when 53 came out the stick made clear that wasn't all of em. By the end, 66 (!) came out. I guess one or two remained previously on several changes.

NOW there is air and skimming like new.

So as I posted above, my ETSS 1000 is supposed to have roughly 53 bioballs in the tower. When I emptied it last week, all were (tyically) clumped together and I had to use a long thin stick to break them apart to get them out. The fishing line trick never worked for me -- it just snaps off when I pull.

Anyway, using the stick I kept going until none came out. There were about 65
in there! I guess every time prior there were always a couple left. They were
really jammed down at the bottom. That had to affect oxygenation and been a
factory for nitrates and maybe PO4?

Since ETSS is long out of business, where are people buying the bioballs and what brand? I am wondering if a different type, without the "fingers", would remain un-stuck. That should allow for more action in the tower. But without the "fingers" on the balls, I wonder if they would chop the water sufficiently. I was looking at these:
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Aquariu...=1455634008&sr=1-17&keywords=bio-filter+balls

But there are others around that are the same idea. Thoughts from those who use ETSS 800 and larger???

I just tried those Lee's linking bioballs. Don't see how people use them. I strung them in links of 5-10, but could only fit about 35-40 in my ETSS1000. No foam action at all. That's no option.

But I hate it how the normal ones clump. It severely cuts performance.

ETSS Skimmer Club!

Anyone need an ETSS 1200?? We're in Michigan but can package it well to ship.

New box of bio balls included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, how many bio balls should be in the towers of my ETSS 1400XR? After setting it up and it being horrably loud, I took it apart and cleaned it. Lost a few of the balls. Want to set it up one more time.

Thanks for any help. Zach

Back