ETSS Skimmer Club!

Anyone by chance got the top piece of an etss2500 for sale? The one I bought has a split in the T before it goes into the 6 90s... the guy had to know about that when he sold it. The acrylic tube coming broken in transit I get but no way the T got split in shipping...

Post a good pic of what broke. Can't find an image good enough to show it.
Started out it was just a leak from the T that leads to where the water enters the down tubes at the top. I was going to try to groove it and weld on 16 over it but neighbor came to "help" build a new top and broke the black acrylic. I have weld on 16 on the black acrylic and stuck another piece on top to hopefully hold it together temporarily.... been waiting a couple months for the pump to come out and now this... I should have just stuck with the skimmers I have

uploadfromtaptalk1437941695986.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1437941712417.jpg

Hard to see from those pics
...I am not seeing a "T".

This skimmer will kick butt. But looks to me like you need a plastic/acrylic shop. Don't know where you live but in Chicago there are several such shops one of which fixed my etss after a shipping breakage. If you are in a metro area it should be easy to find someone who can fix it.

The T is the back side before it goes into the fitting that the hose from the pump feeds in. Basically it's a T that runs into 3 90s on each side. I'm in Wilmington NC but only glass shops here no real place that does much custom acrylic but I'll call around. Maybe my rigging will get me in the "ghetto rig thread" at least...

Eplastics is gonna be your best bet judging by the website.
They are out of California looks like and "service" my area but I will call them tomorrow and see if I can ship this to them and they can make one. If they can't I'll just cut my losses and trash the skimmer and try to get what I can for the brand new pumps (bought 2) but they are perfect for this 2500. They do the 2500gph at 23' needed. thanks for the help

uploadfromtaptalk1438442191281.jpg

So I finally got this going.... I kept dumping weld on 16 around all the pipes all day yesterday at work like every 30 min. I hooked it up just now and finally no leaks!

Is this where I want the water to sit in the bottom chamber? It's making a good bit of foam in the 10 min it's been running. I think this pump is going to be the perfect fit for it

I run mine about 1/2 where you have it. You need to keep you eye on it...it will go into what they call "kick in" which will start pushing water to the cup and will drain your sump quick...then its add water and salt to get the sump level back to normal. Its a great skimmer...you just need to get use to how it works.---Rick

I run mine about 1/2 where you have it. You need to keep you eye on it...it will go into what they call "kick in" which will start pushing water to the cup and will drain your sump quick...then its add water and salt to get the sump level back to normal. Its a great skimmer...you just need to get use to how it works.---Rick
I'll keep an eye on it for a couple days for sure. The sump is a 300g and the total volume is like 1100g so maybe it won't hurt my salinity too much. I have a hose to collect it into a 5g bucket at the moment

Yeah...watch it until you see what it does. I have my collection cup going directly to a drain. My sump is over 50gal and the skimmer will drain it down pasted the pump intake, so you see your tank full of bubbles. This skimmer will eat a 5gal bucket alive if it goes into a crazy mode. The skimmer will not do it when your standing there...it needs to kick-in...could be a day or two. I fool with mine early in the morning so I can check it a few times. I never adjust it at night because it seems to always do the drain the sump thing overnight while I'm sleeping :lmao: Good luck.

I haven't adjusted mine in two years. Only reason it will fluctuate is if your tank level fluctuates. Or if adding things like chemiclean or anti-planaria potions etc.

My guess is you have a sophisticated auto topoff on that large a system.

That said, spend $100 on a large waste collector with auto shutoff. You must have that just to be sure you avoid disaster.

As for level, every tank is different. You may well be fine there. Depends on bioload how much you fed and what, etc etc. But after a few days you will be fine. MICRO ADJUSTMENTS to the gate valve!!! Tiny adjustments make a huge difference in these skimmers. But once dialed in you are done except when adding as per above (at which time I close the valve in the waste collector all the way. NEVER the gate valve on the skimmer).

What pump did you get????

I haven't adjusted mine in two years. Only reason it will fluctuate is if your tank level fluctuates. Or if adding things like chemiclean or anti-planaria potions etc.

My guess is you have a sophisticated auto topoff on that large a system.

That said, spend $100 on a large waste collector with auto shutoff. You must have that just to be sure you avoid disaster.

As for level, every tank is different. You may well be fine there. Depends on bioload how much you fed and what, etc etc. But after a few days you will be fine. MICRO ADJUSTMENTS to the gate valve!!! Tiny adjustments make a huge difference in these skimmers. But once dialed in you are done except when adding as per above (at which time I close the valve in the waste collector all the way. NEVER the gate valve on the skimmer).

What pump did you get????
Lol I'm not sure if I can say yet what pump I have. It's so new it's not on the market but it is working awesome... I'm waiting on the email back to see if it's cool for me to review it

I'm having an issue with micro bubbles in my display now because I have to dump the output into my 30th sump. I originally had it going to a 150g with 2 1.5" overflows but they couldn't keep up so I added a 3rd 1.5" bulkhead today and 3 can't keep up with the amount of water it is outputting.... I stacked a couple hundred pounds of rock around the return and skimmer intake in the sump and probably 100lb around the skimmer output and that seemed to help. I'm going to let it run until tomorrow append see how the display looks. I'll keep you posted for sure

I have a feeling I'm going to toss this skimmer and order an ASM g6. It produces foam up the neck in the morning until I feed at night then it collapses for 10 hrs. The reeflo suntail pump in running is perfect for it (new pump they are releasing at macna) bit what use is a slimmer that won't skim when you feed. Feeding is the reason I need a skimmer. Unless I'm missing something this skimmer is not going to do what I need...

Did you ever disconnect that restrictor on the air intake?

Did you install the waste collector?

Those two pieces affect performance, as I said. It is also quite possible that while the reeflo has fine flow, it lacks the pressure capacity required, typical of reeflo products. 3/4 hp pressure pump likely required for skimmer to properly work.

Even as you describe you could raise the level a tad to produce more skimmate....

Did you ever disconnect that restrictor on the air intake?

Did you install the waste collector?

Those two pieces affect performance, as I said. It is also quite possible that while the reeflo has fine flow, it lacks the pressure capacity required, typical of reeflo products. 3/4 hp pressure pump likely required for skimmer to properly work.

Even as you describe you could raise the level a tad to produce more skimmate....
I did take of the restrictor but haven't added the waste collector yet. Been waiting to have time to make one but may just order one if that may be effecting the performance. The reeflo is supposed to be a pressure rated pump. Will the waste collector put back pressure on the skimmer or something?

As far as the water level in the skimmer, the only way I can get it to produce any foam is if I set the water level like 1/2" out of the black box. When I raise it half way in the first chamber I don't get anything really. I put my asm g4xx in last night and had half a cup this morning already. I'll order the waste container today and see if it will help. Thanks again for all the help

Here is a pic of mine although I have moved it to the other side of the sump. I have valves on both sides of the air intakes to fine tune the skimmate. MY system is about 1200gal total and I have had this skimmer I'm guessing over 25yrs. I adjust/fine tune often...depending on what I want it to do. My waste goes directly to a drain...no bucket...see post 1192 for helpful hints(at least is what has works for me). I have always been happy, is why I have never changed.---Rick

The pic has zoom> http://i.imgur.com/ZhGlF3J.jpg

Here is a pic of mine although I have moved it to the other side of the sump. I have valves on both sides of the air intakes to fine tune the skimmate. MY system is about 1200gal total and I have had this skimmer I'm guessing over 25yrs. I adjust/fine tune often...depending on what I want it to do. My waste goes directly to a drain...no bucket...see post 1192 for helpful hints(at least is what has works for me). I have always been happy, is why I have never changed.---Rick

The pic has zoom> http://i.imgur.com/ZhGlF3J.jpg
So it looks like the bubbles are 3/4 of the way up the first chamber but is the water line itself sitting just at the top of the black box?

Nice looking setup

No,...1/2 to 3/4 is the starting point where I then adjust the air flow intake from the top valve air intakes I added,...I use them "along " with the large "flow" control valve I fine tune skimming(I run mine a bit on the wet side). As I said you can't get to produce skim from a dead stop,...it takes some time to kick in,...if you do and it appears to be producing skimmate,...it will fool you and take off full bore in a few hours(very touchy) This is why I do any adjustments to mine in the morning. As you said if you get the water to high in the tower it will not do anything and if it would "kick in" it will empty your sump in quick order.
I think the waste collection 5gal cover is for smaller skimmers made for under tank sumps,...not so much for large skimmers like yours. I have one I bought with my skimmer and used it for a week then plumbed the waste directly to a drain.The 5gal waste collection is for shutting down the skimmer when the bucket is full so it doesn't dump the skim gunk all over your floor if you forget to check it. I'll send mine to you free(you pay postage) if you haven't bought one already. :thumbsup:---Rick

One more thing fyi I run mine with a Iwaki 100rlt(same I bought with skimmer)
you can ck against the pump you are using.

Back