Euphyllia Struggling...

marcusrogers3

Hi All,

All my Euphyllia seem to be having a hard time. I am going to try and be as detailed as possible, please ask questions if I miss things. They all seem to be either retracted or not fully opened. Tank age is about 3 months.

Parameters:
Ammonia(red sea): 0
Nitrite(salifert): 0
Nitrate(nyos): ~7
Ca(red sea): 420
Mg(red sea): 1500
KH(red sea): ~7-7.4
Phosphate(Hanna): 0.07
Salinity: 1.025 (tropic marin hydrometer)
Temp: 79-80

Lighting:
2x Radion g5 xr30
using LPS Lagoon template running at 30% schedule intensity
tank is 80 gallons and the dimensions are about 48 inches long

Tank condition:
I am currently battling dinos and recently added one does of neonitro and neophos to increase my nutrients to help combat the dinos. I raised them from 0 (both) to ~7 nitrate and to .07 phosphate.

Flow:
one MP40, reef crest, about 50%

I am not sure what else could be going wrong, I have included pictures. I have acans that seem to be doing fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

**this one has looked like this for about 1.5 months(the first torch i bought), I have tried moving it etc, still no change but seems to be trying to hang on lol

Maybe stop adding stuff to
Kill algae

I’d just keep it simple
Make sure you have good RO water
Do water changes, let tank
Stabilize and mature till things look better

Feed the fish

Hi All,

All my Euphyllia seem to be having a hard time. I am going to try and be as detailed as possible, please ask questions if I miss things. They all seem to be either retracted or not fully opened. Tank age is about 3 months.

Parameters:
Ammonia(red sea): 0
Nitrite(salifert): 0
Nitrate(nyos): ~7
Ca(red sea): 420
Mg(red sea): 1500
KH(red sea): ~7-7.4
Phosphate(Hanna): 0.07
Salinity: 1.025 (tropic marin hydrometer)
Temp: 79-80

Lighting:
2x Radion g5 xr30
using LPS Lagoon template running at 30% schedule intensity
tank is 80 gallons and the dimensions are about 48 inches long

Tank condition:
I am currently battling dinos and recently added one does of neonitro and neophos to increase my nutrients to help combat the dinos. I raised them from 0 (both) to ~7 nitrate and to .07 phosphate.

Flow:
one MP40, reef crest, about 50%

I am not sure what else could be going wrong, I have included pictures. I have acans that seem to be doing fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

They will appreciate those Nitrate/Phosphate levels that you have attained. To be honest they look like they are hunkered down from too much flow. Knock it back to 25-30% and see if they start to extend a little more ( might take several hours). They need to move but just gently is fine. It can also be too much light but try the flow adjustment first.

Maybe stop adding stuff to
Kill algae

I’d just keep it simple
Make sure you have good RO water
Do water changes, let tank
Stabilize and mature till things look better

Feed the fish
I only dosed the neonitro and neophos once (I was hesitant to add stuff to begin with but I figured the coral were doing poorly due to 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates), I did try to heavily feed the fish to raise nitrates & phosphates but it was not working well. I was doing weekly 15% water changes but I cut them back to every other week because I felt they were not helping the cause (either to help the coral or to beat dinos)

But I will take your advice and let the tank mature and stabilize!

Can you tell when you look at the frogspawn in your tank if what I have circled is something suspicious? It seem to be amongst the tentacles in spots but I just circled the one because it was the most obvious. I just want to make sure you don't have some kind of pest. It may be nothing but it's hard to tell what everything is in pictures.

frog6.jpg

Can you tell when you look at the frogspawn in your tank if what I have circled is something suspicious? It seem to be amongst the tentacles in spots but I just circled the one because it was the most obvious. I just want to make sure you don't have some kind of pest. It may be nothing but it's hard to tell what everything is in pictures.

View attachment 32371097
I am not sure what that is, but I took more pictures of it. I can dip it in Revive if need be or to be cautious. I just don't want to stress the coral even more. Do you think it is a pest?

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

Is this a 3 month old tank started with dry rock?

It looks very fresh
I just think you need some bio diversity
yes I started it with dry rock and used fritz turbo start to cycle it.

I am not sure what that is, but I took more pictures of it. I can dip it in Revive if need be or to be cautious. I just don't want to stress the coral even more. Do you think it is a pest?
No, I think it's just deflated tentacles. Good idea not to stress it further.

Tank is young even with using Fritz Turbo Start. Like said earlier you need some biodiversity. Let the dinos run their course, you could help it along by dosing live Phytoplankton and pods.

As an update to this thread:

All my euphyllia are doing great now. The issue was the lack of phosphate in my tank causing my torches and hammers to starve(this is why dinos were present in the first place) In the original post I noted that my phosphate levels were 0.07 however that was only about a day after dosing neophos. After doing nothing to the tank(except a natural increase in phosphates), a few days later all of them opened up.

I don't think a tank is ever "too young" for corals- there are many beautiful reef tanks set up within hours.

As an update to this thread:

All my euphyllia are doing great now. The issue was the lack of phosphate in my tank causing my torches and hammers to starve(this is why dinos were present in the first place) In the original post I noted that my phosphate levels were 0.07 however that was only about a day after dosing neophos. After doing nothing to the tank(except a natural increase in phosphates), a few days later all of them opened up.

I don't think a tank is ever "too young" for corals- there are many beautiful reef tanks set up within hours.
Too young can mean a lot of things to different people. To me, if you are battling dinos and have to add things like neo nitro and neophos because levels are too low than you have an imbalance. You really should be able to keep those levels proper for YOUR tank with feeding the fish and corals. I say YOUR tank because yours is lightly stocked, if it was over run with huge colonies then i could see using those supplements because at that point feeding can not keep up with the intake from all the animals and biodiversity.

Back