EverGrow IT5012 / Sold in US as Reefbreeders Photon 50 - Manufacturer is TERRIBLE

B Lo

A little over 15 months ago, I purchased an IT5012 LED light fixture from EverGrow. The remote stopped working a few days ago and I emailed EverGrow for a quote on obtaining a new remote. As I have extended warranty coverage with my credit card, I asked for a copy of the written warranty to submit it to Visa so that they would cover the cost of the replacement remote / repair. The very bottom of this post shows the email I sent to EverGrow and the chat log above it shows the chat I had with Aimee at EverGrow. Needless to say, they were totally worthless and clearly don't want to waste any time whatsoever on end users. I advised them I would post about this experience on industry forums and I am a man of my word so that's what I'm doing here and now. Please read through and see if this is the type of business you'd like to support.

Incidentally, Reefbreeders rebrands / private labels their lights and sell them as the "œPhoton" series. To be clear, this isn't a complaint about Reefbreeders as they were totally uninvolved in the original sale or in the below communications with EverGrow. I've never had any issue with Reefbreeders.

欢迎光临!
如果您对我们的产品或者服务有任何意见或者建议,都可以随时与我们线上取得联系,我们的客服人员会给您详尽细致的解答。
请选择以下客服人员开始对话:

Grow Sales
EVERGROW(离线) Lena(离线)
Mary (离线)
Aqua Sales
Amiee(在线) Lisa-Evergrow(离线)

Amiee 说: 01:24:28
Welcome to Evergrow
我 说: 01:25:10
Hi, Aimee.
我 说: 01:25:20
I would like to obtain a replacement wireless remote control for the IT5012 as the remote control in the unit I have is no longer functioning. Would you please send me a quote including shipping?

Also, would you please send me a copy of the warranty coverage text for IT5012?
Amiee 说: 01:27:55
Hi there
我 说: 01:28:02
Hi, Aimee.
Amiee 说: 01:28:06
you bought the lamp from us ?
我 说: 01:28:12
Yes, ma'am.
我 说: 01:28:32
At this point, I believe it Is out of warranty.
Amiee 说: 01:28:48
thanks , which sales do you contact ?
我 说: 01:28:48
But I'd still like to see the warranty text in addition to getting a quote for the remote.
我 说: 01:29:05
It has been so long I cannot remember,
Amiee 说: 01:30:14
thanks , then mind to tell us your name and email please?
我 说: 01:30:32
Certainly. [REDACTED]
Amiee 说: 01:30:37
also do you have the serial number of the 5012 lamp? if yes please offer us
我 说: 01:30:56
I do not have it with me but I know it was purchased over 15 months ago.
Amiee 说: 01:31:30
every lamp has own serial number , if you do not have then sorry I can not help you
我 说: 01:31:47
Do the remotes not work with all of the lights?
我 说: 01:32:04
Like I said, I don't believe it is under warranty.
我 说: 01:32:12
I am just looking to purchase a replacement remote.
Amiee 说: 01:32:55
well noted , sorry we can not sell parts
我 说: 01:33:20
You do not offer replacement remotes for the fixtures?
Amiee 说: 01:36:09
we have sole agent in US now , please feel free to contact them , maybe you can get a remote
Amiee 说: 01:36:14
reefbreeders.com
我 说: 01:36:33
Okay. The only other question I have is regarding the warranty text. Is it online anywhere?
Amiee 说: 01:38:11
without serial number you can not enjoy our warranty clause
我 说: 01:38:39
Amiee. I'm not asking about the specific unit. I'm just wondering if the warranty coverage is available online anywhere
我 说: 01:38:58
Specifically, I'm wondering what's included and excluded.
我 说: 01:39:04
I know this unit is no longer under warranty.
Amiee 说: 01:39:32
unavailable online friend
我 说: 01:39:43
Can it be sent by email?
Amiee 说: 01:40:18
why you need that ?
我 说: 01:40:40
Because my credit card offers extended warranty but I need a copy of the warranty text to claim it with them.
我 说: 01:41:13
It doubles the warranty which would cover the lamp but I cannot find any text online.
我 说: 01:42:46
https://usa.visa.com/support/consum...nty-manager-service-terms-and-conditions.html
我 说: 01:42:58
"Extended Warranty Protection doubles the time period of the original manufacturer's written U.S. repair warranty up to one (1) additional year on eligible warranties of three (3) years or less for items purchased entirely with your eligible Visa card.
This benefit is limited to no more than the original price of the purchased item (as shown on your Visa card receipt), less shipping and handling fees, up to a maximum of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) per claim and fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00) per cardholder."
我 说: 01:44:40
So would you please email me a copy of the warranty?
我 说: 01:48:58
Are you still there?
我 说: 01:54:14
Are you still there?
我 说: 01:58:12
Are you still there?
我 说: 02:01:26
Are you simply ignoring me?
我 说: 02:03:22
It's bad for business to be rude to and to ignore customers. They may have nothing better to do than to bash your business on social media and in industry specific forums. Given that you aren't replying and it's eben twenty minutes and given that the email I sent two days ago didn't get the common courtesy of a reply, I will return the favor and post about this experience all over the place. I absolutely guarantee it will cost your business money.
我 说: 02:03:43
been*
我 说: 02:04:06
Last chance to avoid retribution...
我 说: 02:05:18
Don't say I didn't warn you or give you the chance.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 6:33 PM
Subject: Wireless remote control for IT5012
To: sales01@evergrowlighting.com

Dear Sir or Madam:

I would like to obtain a replacement wireless remote control for the IT5012 as the remote control in the unit I have is no longer functioning. Would you please send me a quote including shipping?

Also, would you please send me a copy of the warranty coverage text for IT5012?

Thanks,

[REDACTED]

I'm not seeing an issue here to be quite honest.

You need a new remote, they don't offer parts, but referred you to reefbreeders who could possibly sell you a remote.

You then ask for warranty information, they asked for a serial number which you did not provide, they hung up.

Provide the information they need and you might get what you want. Seeing as they probably sell 20 different versions of the light with 20 different warranties, without the serial number they could not provide the proper warranty information.

Could it have been handled a little different by their CS? Certainly. But when the owner does not provide the information the CS needs, what did you expect?

Welcome to the world we live in..
Nice to have you here..

The current trend is "throw away products"
Its cheap.. when it breaks you just throw it away and buy another/something else..

The conversation/attitude,etc... is very typical of any Chinese company and just the way it is now.. Consider this a learning experience for you..

They don't sell 20 different versions of this light. They've only ever offered two versions of it and given that mine was over 15 months old and the new version (2nd) was just recently released, they only offered one version of it at the time of sale.

The warranty is the same: they've only ever offered one warranty for this particular model: 15 months.

Even if they were both available at the time, which they were not, do you believe that there are likely to be any changes in exclusions or other terms in a warranty based on version number? That sounds like a heck of a reach as though searching for an excuse for their behavior.

If the version really mattered, they would have asked. They never asked what version because it didn't matter as the version was crystal clear based on the time of purchase (plus they had my details so they could easily see) and as the warranty is almost certainly identical.

They did not initially seem to understand that I wasn't looking for warranty coverage - just a copy of the written warranty. I've never heard of a manufacturer questioning why someone wants a copy of the warranty and refusing to provide it. It's telling that the warranty isn't online and they screw around when it's requested. Look at other electronics manufacturers: the warranties are generally posted online and are easy to find. I've never had a manufacturer tell me they wouldn't send me the warranty or simply ignore me when I request a copy of it.

As you don't see anything wrong with the experience, I wish you a similarly unremarkable experience in all your dealings with businesses. This shouldn't trouble you as you apparently find their conduct understandable. That would be called karma.

I'm not seeing an issue here to be quite honest.

You need a new remote, they don't offer parts, but referred you to reefbreeders who could possibly sell you a remote.

You then ask for warranty information, they asked for a serial number which you did not provide, they hung up.

Provide the information they need and you might get what you want. Seeing as they probably sell 20 different versions of the light with 20 different warranties, without the serial number they could not provide the proper warranty information.

Could it have been handled a little different by their CS? Certainly. But when the owner does not provide the information the CS needs, what did you expect?

Thanks, McGyvr. It was far from throw away - roughly half a grand at the time of purchase - closer to $750 now, I believe. It's sad that Chinese companies are apparently going this way. I've dealt with several in the past and they've all been good, most recently Oppo for BluRay players and Qidi for 3D printers. The great thing about capitalism is that I never have to buy another light from them in the future.

Welcome to the world we live in..
Nice to have you here..

The current trend is "throw away products"
Its cheap.. when it breaks you just throw it away and buy another/something else..

The conversation/attitude,etc... is very typical of any Chinese company and just the way it is now.. Consider this a learning experience for you..

Oreo, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the effort to help. I ended up buying a new remote from ReefBreeders. It comes with a new PCB (controller board to go into the light fixture), too, but I feel safer buying from a US-based seller and the cost was pretty darn close.

One thing I dont understand is why/how you dont know the serial number. I completely understand and agree that they should send you do the warranty agreement in either case.

But to get a repalcemnt part of any kind, they have the right to ask for a serial number.

My friend burned a $2000 video card that was still under warrant. EVGA (manufacturer) refused to replace it, even with a receipt, since the fire also burned away the serial number label and he throw away the box. Their logic was that there was no way of knowing if they are replacing the card that is really under warranty, ot just another card that the owner claims to have warranty. In other words, you can buy a broken card without a guarantee for cheap, and then try to use the other cards warranty to get that one replaced. Without a serial number there is no way of preventing this.

Tripod: I didn't know the serial number because I wasn't in front of the light. I also wasn't about to go hunting for one as it didn't matter. Why? Because it was irrelevant. Why? Because I wasn't asking for anything to be done under the warranty.

In my very first post to them, I wrote, "Would you please send me a quote including shipping?" I never said it was under warranty and, in fact, I indicated, again and again, it was out of warranty.

I agree that they have the right to ask for a serial number prior to me getting a replacement part of any kind under warranty. However, I made it clear I just wanted a quote for it and that my warranty had already expired.

Your friend should have sued EVGA over the $2000 card. I sure as heck would have done so. And I would have created incredibly negative publicity after having nailed them to the wall. Shaming companies has a profound impact on their future treatment of customers.

One thing I dont understand is why/how you dont know the serial number. I completely understand and agree that they should send you do the warranty agreement in either case.

But to get a repalcemnt part of any kind, they have the right to ask for a serial number.

My friend burned a $2000 video card that was still under warrant. EVGA (manufacturer) refused to replace it, even with a receipt, since the fire also burned away the serial number label and he throw away the box. Their logic was that there was no way of knowing if they are replacing the card that is really under warranty, ot just another card that the owner claims to have warranty. In other words, you can buy a broken card without a guarantee for cheap, and then try to use the other cards warranty to get that one replaced. Without a serial number there is no way of preventing this.

Tripod: I didn't know the serial number because I wasn't in front of the light. I also wasn't about to go hunting for one as it didn't matter. Why? Because it was irrelevant. Why? Because I wasn't asking for anything to be done under the warranty.

In my very first post to them, I wrote, "Would you please send me a quote including shipping?" I never said it was under warranty and, in fact, I indicated, again and again, it was out of warranty.

I agree that they have the right to ask for a serial number prior to me getting a replacement part of any kind under warranty. However, I made it clear I just wanted a quote for it and that my warranty had already expired.

Your friend should have sued EVGA over the $2000 card. I sure as heck would have done so. And I would have created incredibly negative publicity after having nailed them to the wall. Shaming companies has a profound impact on their future treatment of customers.

And you would have lost your lawsuit..

they should have given you the info but your example about a video card means nothing.

something fishy about this serial #

This is exactly what I am not getting. Why would OP go into so much effort not to provide the serial number. Do the manufacturer need the serial number to send out the warranty information, probably not. But maybe they need the serial number to determine where the light was sold. Warranty info might be different for even California and Texas. Secondly, to provide replacement they would definitely need a serial number. Reef Breeders sell rebranded version of this light in US and as part of this deal, evergrow probably don't have the right to offer replacement parts for RB fixtures. They would need the serial number to verify if the light is a RB or EG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back