Excellent article

being an employee of a pet store that prides itself on quality marine fish and corals. so much that we hand pick all of our marine fish and corals excpet our locally grown clowns. this was an awesome article! i will use the ideas. thanks!

Well done!

I enjoyed your article and agree a disservice is done to the whole art of reef keeping by clinging to this useless terminology. I find it amazing to speak to an aquarist who knows the genus of their house plants, but not their coral!

Article was great.

I wonder though, if you could put together a specific list of what certain growth forms need. You mention a couple cases (the thin branches on seratoia meaning it likes lower flow) but never give an overall picture.

I think this would be very helpful.

Hi Rich,

I've been tossing a few ideas around, and while I haven't actually fleshed-out my thoughts yet, I may write a piece to accompany this one addressing issues like you mention.

Best,

cj

why is is that i think i've heard a lot of this 'stuff' before it made it to an article.......
must be some LFS i go to

In keeping a reef tank, I find myself much more aware of basic ecology. In trying to manage my very own reef community, this has indirectly hightened awareness of the planet, as an ecosystem. Your article spearheads this, and I thank you. Keep up the excellent work.

ant

Very much well done Chris! I don't think i could wait another month for Part 2 of The Nutrient Dynamics of Coral Reefs. Kudos!

Back