Expensive Lion!!

XtrmCHoPZ

I was looking at Live Aquaria's Diver's Den today and noticed they had a 7" Black Volitans for $140!!!! How in the heck can they charge that much? Even if it is from some special location, how can they justify charging that much for a volitans? I recently had to sell a black volitans that was almost 12" because I had nowhere to keep him.......how much would they have charged for him?!?!

I just conferred with Petstorejunkie (handy having her accross the living room with her near 20 years of hobby experience not to mention her recent vetrinatry pharm. experience) about this and the consensus is that the dominant specimen of volitan will be "black" while the rest will be shades of reddish. Don't go too nuts over the perfect black specimen, odds are he just is that much bigger dominance wise than his tankmates. The coloration will depend heavily on the tank he is kept in.

Hope this helps

i wouldnt pay it -- theres a (australia) scotts wrasse on auction right now and the owner is saying its a $250 fish. the are on special at liveaquaria for $69 right now

LFS are always trying to get as much $$$ as possible from their fish. The thing is....they kn0w there is someone out there who will actually pay that price!

I've worked in the industry and agree that the price seems high, but ...

perhaps in Outthere Wyoming, 130 miles from the closest saltwater fish store where they do charge over $100 for a black volitans, it might be worthwhile.

In the California SF/Bay Area, there are many wholesalers and retailers and pricing on fishes drastically varies. Sometimes it is worth paying the extra for a fish that has gone through quarantine, is collected in a ethical manner, or for customer service that is friendly, professional, or just picks up the phone/responds to e-mail.

Live Aquaria (whom I do not work for) has a 14 day guarantee. Sometimes that is worth the extra $$

fish are only as pricy as how consumers pay for them. Live Aquaria had a rare red rhinopias for $1000. Never thought it would go fast......guess what. Sucker sold in two days!!! Goes to show.

saltwater fish never has DME's in stock because they can't buy them low enough to make a decent profit at selling it that low.
Aussie scotts wrasses are SOOO much nicer then the cook island ones.. they really are night and day in comparison... are you sure liveaquaria isn't selling the cook island one for 69? That is extremely low for an Aussie one... if it is then the wholesaler is having a sale on them lol. so they are buying them for 30$ and making a quick profit!

I'm kinda suprised that nobody has mentioned the other half of the "supply and demand" equation. People are discussing here what the market will bear for certain species, but nobody has mentioned that some fish are getting more expensive simply because they are being overfished. Look at hepatus tangs. I've seen medium sized ones wholesaling for $35, when just 20 years ago, that would have been a high RETAIL price for one! Same thing for blue carpet anemones. Used to pay $19.95 for them at the LFS and now they wholesale for $50+ out of Colombo. This isn't all just "inflation" or higher shipping costs - I've researched this - some fish are still selling for equal to what they did 20 years ago. It is definately a supply side problem with some species.

Jay Hemdal

Back