Experience with large colonies

Hello,

I have been lucky enough to grow some very large basketball sized coloines of branching montipora. However, I have notice that at the bottom where the light can not reach has died. The top where the light shines, is still growing well. Is it normal for the bottom to die like this. I have always thought that a coral will pass around resources to area that can not get light, but perhaps this was just an unsubstantiated thought.

The coral is show below, but it is now about 1/3 larger all around. (10-12 inch ball sized)

Thanks for your feedback.

1720444971848.png

Parameters:
Alk: 8
Cal: 480
Ammo: 0
Nit: 0
Phos: 0.1 (+- 0.1)
SG: 1.023
Temp: 75

What they said, you're good. There is stuff moved around in colonies but depending on the species if a section of coral is shaded it can't grow the zooxanthellae it polyps need to survive there will be dieoff. Some species are able to live purely heterotrophicly without zooxanthelle and those you might see white tissue with healthy but bleached or clear polyps. But even if a species can live purely heterotrophicly if currents aren't providing the particulate foods needed there would still be dieoff.

Last edited:
Back