exploring the use of conductivity monitoring to measure salinity

My Salinity monitor is currently reading about 50.0 mS (32.8PPT salinity) and the refractometer is reading about 34PPT salinity. That's a bit of a difference and I don't know why.

You are talking 1 ppt error ( 34 - 32.8 = 1.2) which is normal error as in +/- 1 ppt for the refracts and some monitors. The PinPint is less than that. Meaning, if the refract read 35ppt they actually may be somewhere between 34 - 36 ppt, which is all they guarantee.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14997813#post14997813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jlinzmaier
When you say that, do you mean it doesn't always turn on and remain on properly or do you mean you get varied results when using the adapter?

Thanks Tom.

Jeremy
:) I mean it stays on fine when plugged in with the adapter but the readings jump around.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14998089#post14998089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
My Salinity monitor is currently reading about 50.0 mS (32.8PPT salinity) and the refractometer is reading about 34PPT salinity. That's a bit of a difference and I don't know why.

You are talking 1 ppt error ( 34 - 32.8 = 1.2) which is normal error as in +/- 1 ppt for the refracts and some monitors. The PinPint is less than that. Meaning, if the refract read 35ppt they actually may be somewhere between 34 - 36 ppt, which is all they guarantee.

Awesome!! Boomer, you've just further justfied my reasoning for buying a monitor!! Thanks.

I couldn't find a margin of error in my pinpoint monitor instructions. The pin point control solution says it is +/- 0.5mS.

In regards to the battery vs AC adapter, I see no difference in the readings with the use of one vs the other.

Jeremy

Good, It must be something in the draw on my outlets. I' m running several ballasts on the same circut; not the same out let though. I tried several adapters and kept getting the problem.

Back