Extra compatment in sump

I have a space when I can put an approximately 10x12 compartment in my sump. I already have an ATS and skimmer planned for in there, so there is not a real need for any particular equipment. If I did need any additional equipment in the future, there is plenty of rom in the return section and quite a bit in the ATS section as well. So I want this compartment to be something fun. It is a 75 gallon tank with a 40b sump. The center chamber would be split in two, one for the skimmer, the other is my open slot.

My 2 thoughts are frag rack or macro algae growing. I don't really need more nutrient export, but it would mean that I could feed more with less worry of nuisance algae, plus pods would love it and eventually find their way to the display tank. Frag rack would be nice since I have lost small frags more than I care to admit because they just don't stay put, especially with hermits and snails checking them out before they encrust on to the rock.

So my options are slightly more nutrient export that would just be interesting, or frag rack that would be cool for holding small corals (and hiding new ones from the wife so she doesn't know I spent so much). The downsides I see to each are no benefit to reef chemistry with the frag rack, and it being too small to be a refugium if I did macro. Would it be a problem to have a mangrove in there if I did make it a macro compartment? Would the roots grow into the sand and break the glass?

Thoughts and opinions?

you can do a small fuge.

I know I can, that's not the issue. I mentioned how the small fuge would not have much of an impact just because I knew it would come up and potentially divert the conversation. Its more of how worthwhile either would be. I know it is a personal choice because both are useful but not so useful that you can't go without one or both. I just wanted to hear from people on which is going to be more practical and beneficial. I also expect and appreciate opinions on how enjoyable one might be over the other.

How well would a small fuge work? Would it be just like a nano but with the stability of additional volume? If I had a fuge, I would have to have mangroves, those have been on my wish list ever since I got started with the hobby, I might do them anyways when I finish my raised lights and canopy.

Never personally had mangroves however I know you have to mist the leaves occasionally to remove the salt buildup. From what I understand mangroves are not usually in saltwater but can remove the excess salt through their leaves. Normally rain would wash the leaves but in the case of an aquarium it would have to be done manually. just something to consider.

I don't see them breaking the glass.

Never personally had mangroves however I know you have to mist the leaves occasionally to remove the salt buildup. From what I understand mangroves are not usually in saltwater but can remove the excess salt through their leaves. Normally rain would wash the leaves but in the case of an aquarium it would have to be done manually. just something to consider.

I don't see them breaking the glass.

Mangroves grow along the coast in brackish to salt water. They can grow in freshwater as well but often get out grown by other plants. I am well aware that you have to mist the leaves with water. That is easy to do with a spray bottle. I also know that they are not incredibly efficient with removing nutrients, I just find them interesting and would want to keep them for the fun of if more than the practical aspect. I'm just not sure that justifies trading out a frag rack for it.

You could just leave it and let it be a settling chamber/ bubble trap. I did.

Shh, don't tell my wife that. She would love the idea of not having another thing for me to spend money on. Really though, I could leave it empty, but where's the fun in that. Frag rack might even save money if it keeps more of my corals alive (as long as it doesn't give me an excuse to buy more). It might even help me with fragging and selling.

Either way the extra chamber will allow bubbles to work themselves out. The lights I have in mind are $20-30 for LED bulbs and then all I need is a socket to screw it into. Frag rack out of egg crate or sand and some macro is all I need to get it started so it is not the cost.

Back