Extruded vs Cell Cast

skeeter_ca

Hello,

I am working on building a small long nano tank(8"hx10"dx48"l). I priced Cell Cast acrylic and the problem is I have to buy it in a full sheet (4'x8') whereas I can get extruded cheaper and can buy only what I need in a partial sheet(4'x4'). I have built sumps with extruded but have not actually seen any Cell Cast to compare. Is Cell Cast noticeably clearer?

skeeter

The issue isn't really the internal stress itself (it's a bit stronger than cast, but who cares about that). The issue is that the internal stresses put the surface of the material in tension, so tiny scratches stretch themselves out and become really really visible.

It's basically unusable for a display tank, you can get visible scrub marks from brushing it with a soft toothbrush.

I usually just buy right from their site and get a all the needed pieces in a size thats just a bit larger than I need then trim to exact size vs a full/half sheet but yeah they have good pricing..

If you want it "rimless/braceless" then 1/4" is NOT going to work without excessive bowing... But if braced alone the top (acrylic top then route out the openings) it will be ok.. but I'd still go 3/8" anyways for those dimensions and more (1/2") if no rim/brace..

Yeah, they qouted me about $20 more for custom pieces than i could buy their standards sizes and have alot of cutoff left overn

So i cant decide to use 3/8" or 1/2". I was planning on a rimless tank so i am leaning to 1/2" but that means an extra $50 for the acrylic.
Skeeter

An extra $50 for piece of mind is worth it too me. Plus it will look nicer in the end with all your time invested and you won't have to mess with bracing the top

Back