Fairy wrasse breathing quickly not eatig

btb72

New fairy wrasse is breathing quickly and not eating. He ate for two days in qt then just stopped and isn't moving around too much. I'm worried more about him not eating than anything else. Any suggestions? Qt is a 30g with 2 air stones on different pumps and plenty of lr to hide in.

Have u checked ammonia? What meds have u put in? Are there other symptoms other than breathing hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just introduced a Carpenter Wrasse into my system I didn't QT it was already QT in Copper Prior to purchase. When I first introduced him into my DT he was breathing hard and under a rock. Wasn't eating or anything. Wrasses are shy fish and take time to come out. Check your parameters and other livestock inside the tank. He should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parameters are good. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites. Temp is 78, no medications yet wanting to get him to eat before i started anything. 2 air stones so no o2 issues. Only flow is from an aqua clear 70

Parameters are good. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites. Temp is 78, no medications yet wanting to get him to eat before i started anything. 2 air stones so no o2 issues. Only flow is from an aqua clear 70

It could be a bunch of things. I would do a 50% water change and dose praziquantel per bottle instructions as it could be flukes or internal parasites. I do this with any fish I have in quarantine that aren't eating. Usually does the trick for me. What have you tried feeding? What kind of fairy wrasse?

Was the wrasse shipped. IME, I have not had great success with shipment of wrasses. Had good luck with wrasses brought from a LFS.

It could be a bunch of things. I would do a 50% water change and dose praziquantel per bottle instructions as it could be flukes or internal parasites. I do this with any fish I have in quarantine that aren't eating. Usually does the trick for me. What have you tried feeding? What kind of fairy wrasse?

It's a lunati wrasse. But I'll try that don't want to lose it. Lost both fairy wrasses on this shipment. I've tried frozen brine and mysis. It ate for a day and a half then just stopped

It's a lunati wrasse. But I'll try that don't want to lose it. Lost both fairy wrasses on this shipment. I've tried frozen brine and mysis. It ate for a day and a half then just stopped

Ditch the brine as it has little to no nutritional value for your fish. Try offering more foods such as nutramar ova, fish eggs, lrs reef frenzy, etc. Mysis is not going to cut it in the long run. You may have better luck with the food mentioned above.

It's just what he was eating before. I am going to make my own later with a nice mixture but just trying to get him to start eating.
Edit: I know brine is useless. Just trying to start the feeding response.

I had a one spot fox face rabbit fish exhibit the same symptoms. I had him in a QT because of an outbreak of ich, and possibly velvet. I did a 50% water change and put in Seachem Cupramine (per instructions), and this fixed the issue. There was no outward sign of disease on the fish, so I put it down to the parasite being in his gills. He's absolutely fine now.

Point to note: if you use Cupramine, check their web site for dosing instructions. The bottle and web site instructions do differ, and I contacted them about which was correct. Apparently, they have changed their guidance, so it depends on how old the bottle is you purchase. But, the web site has the correct dosage instructions.

Good luck with the wrasse!

I had a one spot fox face rabbit fish exhibit the same symptoms. I had him in a QT because of an outbreak of ich, and possibly velvet. I did a 50% water change and put in Seachem Cupramine (per instructions), and this fixed the issue. There was no outward sign of disease on the fish, so I put it down to the parasite being in his gills. He's absolutely fine now.

Point to note: if you use Cupramine, check their web site for dosing instructions. The bottle and web site instructions do differ, and I contacted them about which was correct. Apparently, they have changed their guidance, so it depends on how old the bottle is you purchase. But, the web site has the correct dosage instructions.

Good luck with the wrasse!

Using copper on a fish in this state would likely be fatal.

Ditch the brine as it has little to no nutritional value for your fish. Try offering more foods such as nutramar ova, fish eggs, lrs reef frenzy, etc. Mysis is not going to cut it in the long run. You may have better luck with the food mentioned above.

This is misleading. Brine can be useful to kickstart the feeding response.

This is misleading. Brine can be useful to kickstart the feeding response.

I agree

PE Mysis is one the healthiest foods avail.

1. MYSIS are 100% Mysis relicta; they belong to the family of Mysidae and are not merely lumped into a "mysis category" like many other small crustaceans whether they are truly mysids or not.

2. MYSIS (Mysis relicta) are a "completely freshwater" species of the Mysidae family; other Mysis species on the market may be a coastal (estuarine) or marine cousin of Mysis relicta.

"The notoriously finicky Copperband butterfly fishes just love MYSIS"

Ingredients:

MYSIS (Mysis relicta)...100%

Guaranteed Analysis:

Min. Crude Protein............69.5%

Min. Crude Fat...................8.35%

Max. Crude Fibre...............2.75%

Max. Ash..............................5.5%

I agree

PE Mysis is one the healthiest foods avail.

1. MYSIS are 100% Mysis relicta; they belong to the family of Mysidae and are not merely lumped into a "mysis category" like many other small crustaceans whether they are truly mysids or not.

2. MYSIS (Mysis relicta) are a "completely freshwater" species of the Mysidae family; other Mysis species on the market may be a coastal (estuarine) or marine cousin of Mysis relicta.

"The notoriously finicky Copperband butterfly fishes just love MYSIS"

Ingredients:

MYSIS (Mysis relicta)...100%

Guaranteed Analysis:

Min. Crude Protein............69.5%

Min. Crude Fat...................8.35%

Max. Crude Fibre...............2.75%

Max. Ash..............................5.5%

My post may have been confusing.
I didn't mean to cut the mysis out of the diet completely, rather add other items to their diet along with the mysis.
IMO - Feeding only one type of food is not healthy for your fish.
Also, there are better foods to 'kick start' a feeding response.

My post may have been confusing.
I didn't mean to cut the mysis out of the diet completely, rather add other items to their diet along with the mysis.
IMO - Feeding only one type of food is not healthy for your fish.
Also, there are better foods to 'kick start' a feeding response.

Such as what?

Back