Fans Fans & More Fans

bckane

Premium Member
Question about cooling...T5 lighting runs a little hot...Ive installed 2- 3.5 fans in my canapy....and a desk top fan in my sump/fuge....blowing across the water surface. Temps not to bad after the lights go out 80.3......83.8 with lights on...which is still not bad.....Question is with the canapy fans...to me it seem that its blowing the hot air around the canapy area.....what if I were to have one of the fans blow out......you thinkk this would help the heat.......

I have the 2 fans in the canapy blowing in toward the center....I think Im going to put 2 fans on the back blowing out the canapy
Thanks Andrea....guess Im going to be Fans Shopping This weekend

BTW Do we ever finish our tanks.??????
(Nevermind I found the answer)....(When we run out of Money)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8145325#post8145325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rogger Castells
Brian, I am able to keep the tank at 80 with three fans one of them blows out and away from the room.
I use the plastic dryer vent hoods I got from lowes to direct the air to constantely hit the water.

http://heating-and-cooling.hardwarestore.com/34-171-dryer-vent-hoods/dryer-vent-hood-217273.aspx

Great idea Rog.......but I dont have that much room in my canapy....this is why I could only go with 3.5 fan if you look to see where I placed my fan it just fit....
59590underhood.jpg

BTW I turned one of the fans in the canapy to blow out.....dropped from 83.6 to 81.4.......I can live with this

Forgot to mention that I only use the plastic part of the vent hood, I take the metal tube out and I place the small plastic hood flush against the fan outlet, all it does is direct the air downward so it hits the water

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8152261#post8152261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rogger Castells
Forgot to mention that I only use the plastic part of the vent hood, I take the metal tube out and I place the small plastic hood flush against the fan outlet, all it does is direct the air downward so it hits the water
Ok Rogger this is what I came up with,.....I install a exhaust fan center/back of tank and used your suggestion dryer vent......of course the vent will be pointed up mounted on the back of tank.....
59590back_fan.jpg

I like the dryer vent idea.

Here's a plug for a good product... I've been using cpu fans from radio shack, with some success, they work pretty well. Usually I use the 4" fan, which is about 1 to 1 1/2" thick.
I got a smaller fan, but much thicker from radio shack, also a 120v, a little cheaper, and it really moves some serious air, and is quieter. The blades look like a little turbine as opposed to the fan blades look. It's a 3" fan, and about 2" thick. I think it was about 27.99. It kept my 18 gallon very cool, around 77 with 192 watts of pc's over it, enclosed in a hood. I'll be putting 2 of these in my 65 gallon when I redesign the hood.

Back