Votes: 21 25.3%
  • I fast my fish one day in a month

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I fast my fish one day a week

Votes: 22 26.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chrisbenavides

I was wondering if it is healthy to fast your fish (no food for one day) one time a week. Do you ever fast your fish and how often?

What are the benefits, if any, for fasting your fish?

I'm wondering if I should fast my fish (Yellow Tang, 2 Clowns, Bicolor Blenny, Royal Gramma), and how often. I know that most fish should be able to eat from the live rock, and the the Tang should eat the algae that grows in the tank. But I know that the Tang eats pure Nori and Formula Two, and at times ChromaXtreme.

Any advice???

:rollface: :eek1: :rollface:

You'll get a million opinions about feeding your fish. We feed ours when we remember. This is our normal schedule, though:
Nori every other day. On the off days, we feed flake & mysis shrimp. But, sometimes we miss a day, and sometimes two days, if we're really busy. My opinion is if you overfeed them they kind of forget what is naturally growing in the tank for them to eat (on the rocks and in the sand).

IMO, most fish find plenty of fare in the tank to remain quite fat (assuming an established tank). I feed mine once to twice a week at best with any of the following (but only one): Mysis, spirulina flake, formula one.

I agree. They may tend to forget to eat whats in the tank already. I just feel like I'm cruel if I do not give them "breakfast", "lunch", or even "dinner". I sometimes feed them three times a day, but MOST of the times its twice a day (morning and night). I'm putting these guys on a diet.

Whats the longest you have gone without feeding your fish?

Whats the longest fish can go without eating?

***For seahorses, are they suppose to fast?***

For seahorses, feeding an enriched diet usually requires one good fast day to make sure digestion is good (and no digestive problems, etc). Depending upon the fish age/species, etc, many can go a week or longer. Young fish or species with high metabolisms may starve in a few days and should be fed often.

I put "every now and then" only because occasionally I forget to feed them. They don't let me know like the cat when it's slipped my mind. :lol:

I feed mine twice a day or they will jump out and hunt me down:eek:
My fish pace the tank, follow me around. STARE me down..they will not go unfed

Reeses- your avatar is quite creepy..hitchhiker?

Yep, creepy little hitchiker crab. More pics of it in my gallery if you want to see it better.

I'm going to ask this question in the seahorse forum. Its good to know these things before I consider getting seahorses.

**First night of fasting my fish. Poor tang :( Its probably good for him that I do this every now and then.

What Amphiprion said. Though I do feed my tank just a bit more :) Like 3-4 times a week. Though I do have my weeks where things are so busy I'm a space cadet when it comes to my pets.

If they came from the Red Sea, odds are they're Muslim. I'd help 'em fast during Ramadan.

If they're Mormon, they fast once a month.

If they're Catholic, yes, Lent-- but don't forget to give them a Mardi Gras, so toss in a few beads and see what happens.

(My apologies if I've offended anyone. I'll be happy to remove whatever's offensive.)

You can't remove me because I'm a Mod. :D

Where did you pick up on this fasting bit anyway? It is a new one on me. In most cases the fish and inverts are underfed as compared to the wild. The tradeoff is that heavy feeding leads to algae growth but even the occasional Weight Watchers diet won't do much to help there. ;)

If they came from the Red Sea, odds are they're Muslim. I'd help 'em fast during Ramadan.

If they're Mormon, they fast once a month.

If they're Catholic, yes, Lent-- but don't forget to give them a Mardi Gras, so toss in a few beads and see what happens.

:lol:

Perhaps tommrow night I'll throw them some corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's day. :D

when I had a reef tank, reef fish, I feed a mix of cyclopeeze, and a mix seafood pack from walmart, and broccoli once/day... every day. just a LITTLE though, and it was ALWAYS ALL gone in less than 5 minutes.

horses, I don't fast: but I also don't have supplements for them, like others do. I feed usually 2x a day, sometimes 1, and I consider that fasting ;)

Back