FB's 120 Tank Build

Alk 9.8 dKh

I think I want to target 10 for my alk. I am still waiting for my calcium test kit so I don't know what that is at.

I may dial it back a little tomorrow.

I have a crazy amount of diatoms on the sand and glass. Hopefully they will pass soon.

Later

FB

Temp 82.1
Salinity 1.024
Alk 11.2 dKh
Cal ?
Nitrate 5 holding steady.
PO4 0-0.03

My skimmer air injector got clogged with something so my skimmer was not performing its best yesterday. I fixed that problem and it's working 100% better.

My Chaeto is doing very poorly it just seems to be all dieing. I have 60W light on it for about 16 hours. It is slowly moving around in the current but just won't take. Not sure it this is common when new tanks get setup but hopefully it will take before it all disappears.

I dialed my calcium reactor back tonight. 1 bubble every 6 seconds down from 3. I also dialed the effluent back to 1 dps, down from 2 dps. Hopefully my alk will start to hold.

My light, test kits, phosban reactor, opti-phos and carbon are all scheduled to come in tomorrow.

I also picked up two corals today. They were very brown as the store was having some alk difficulties. I picked up a cap possibly green and a milli of unknown colour. I got them for $15.00 each. I actually like the surprise of what colour they will be.

Later FB

I currently have a blue tang and now that I have upgraded to my 120 I have always wanted a powder blue tang, but my wife wants to get a yellow tang.

How many tangs can you put into a 120 4X2X2.

Also will three tangs fight each other. Tangs are such a sensitive subject around here and I don't really want to be flamed just looking for some advice.

Thanks

FB

If the tangs are small and you only plan on keeping them in the tank for only 2-3yrs then you should be fine. Once they get larger you will either have to upgrade your tank size of give them to someone with a larger tank.

Well, I recieved my shipment today and was not too happy.

Both the salifert ALK and CAL were backordered.

The wiring for my MH was all wrong. Nothing plugs into anything.:mad2: I have a called to talk to them about it and I have to call back tomorrow.

The only thing I got working were my two phosban reactors.

My tank parameters tonight

Temp 81.8
Salinity 1.024
PH 8.1-8.2
Alk 11.2 Same as yesterday :D
Cal ?
PO4 < 0.03
Nitrate 5.

I got all my lights hooked up on Tuesday night. They ran all day yesterday. When I got home @ 8:00 the temp in the tank was 84.1. Around 10:00 I started noticeing strange behaviour from my tank. I took a look at the temp and it was 85.7. I added some topoff water that was in my basement and the temp came down to 84.1 I turned off all the lights and opened the hood doors. The temp finally came down to the 80's. I unplugged the second MH this morning and will only run one until I figure out what to do.

Tests last night

Temp 84.1 (when I tested)
Alk 11.0
Nitrate 5
Phos 0-0.03

FB

I have made a couple of changes. I removed my ballasts from the hood. This has seemed to help a lot. The temp dosen't go higher than 84.1. Last night I added a computer fan to the back of the hood blowing from back to front. I have another one that I can hook up but I will see how this one goes first.

Parameters

Temp 83.9
ALK 11.0 - Stable for the last 5 days. :D
Nitrate 5
PO4 0 - Perfectly Clear no more faint blue colour like last week.

Just came back from a weeks vacation. The glass was just covered in green algae and tons of cyano on the sandbed. I have not had a chance to do any test yet. I will post results later.

I came home and my CO2 tank is EMPTY! Other than the above algae my tank seems normal. The reactor appears to be working perfectly (minus the co2). I don't think the CO2 went into the reactor but must have escaped another way. I am going to bring my setup in and get it tested for leaks.

Later FB

I just did a couple of water tests.

My Nitrates dropped from 5 before my vacation to between 0-2. Using the Salifert low level test the colour from the side matched 5. So my nitrates are probably <1. I have a ton of bubbles in my sand bed so its seems to be doing the trick :D

Phosphates meaured 0 no blue colour. Obviously all the phosphates are being absorbed by the algae. I changed one of my phosban reactors out using Kent Phosphate sponge. I am using what I have left and then I am going to try the Opti-phos I bought. Hopefully this will put a dent in the cyano and the increase in Bubble algae.

My Chaeto in my sump is doing nothing. I have it on a reverse light cycle. Using a 60W Compact flourecent bulb. I really hope it starts to take off soon.

Later FB

Update

Update

I have not had my calcium reactor hooked up for two weeks and finally got it back yesterday. I set it back up and got it running. I was checking it over and noticed that my solenoid was very loose and believe this was the source of my leak. I tightened everything up did not notice any leaks. I will keep a very close eye on it.

I tested my water last night. I still have not been able to get my hands on a Salifert Calcium kit but did order one from a local store along with another alk kit. Anyway here are my results.

Temp 80.8
Salinity ?
Alk 7.4 dKh
Cal ?
PO4 - 0 (Clear) Salifert
Nitrate 0-1 (Clear from top, 5-10 from the side) Salifert
Mag ?

I had a major cyano outbreak and lost my only SPS frag in the tank a small Milli. I had previously used Red Slime remover on my other tank and it worked great so I dosed a 1/2 dose and everything pretty much cleared up. I know my problem was over feeding so I have cut way back on the food and it seems to be keeping things at bay, however I do have a lot of bubble algae and a very small bit of hair algae.

I am strongly considering vodka dosing, but everything I have read is that it really works for those with high Nitrates and P04. I obviously have some of both just not large amounts. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing I noticed is that my BTA was very brown in my 30 gallon tank. In my new tank it is starting to turn into a very nice green colour. :D

I have decided not to go the DIY rock path instead I plan on ordering 100# of Flordia base rock from Marco rocks.

FB

Honestly FB I was having the same problems when I wasn't keeping up with water changes. I got back into my routine and the cyano went away on its own.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13187582#post13187582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishNFun
Any reason you're not testing for ammonia in a new tank?

It was a transfer with existing live rock and sand from my 30 and no increase in bioload so the filtration should be the same. Maybe I should have. However I didn't notice anything bad.

Last edited:
I started vodka dosing 9 days ago. You can follow that thread here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13250431#post13250431

My cyano came back after using red slime remover (No real surprise) since nothing else changed. I have since changed my DI cut back on my feeding and started the vodka dosing. Most of the cyano has disappeared, however the hair and bubble algae don't seem bothered yet.

Last test done was as follows

Salinity 1.025
Alk - 8.4 dKh
Temp 80.8
P04 < 0.015 (low level Salifert)
NO3 - < 0.2 (low level Salifert)

Later

FB

Stick with the Vodka I have had good results so far and I am in about 8 weeks. how much are you dosing? we have very similar setups.

I'm at 1.5ml

The problem is I'm not sure when stop increasing my doses as my NO3 and P04 were low to begin.

FB

This tank had been running without a single water change for 2 years. I had two clown fish in it and that was all. I recently had to move and tore it all down. I've started building it back up and I'll add some pics soon.

310dc44d58b48bbbf7f559fdb8ff8fc2.jpg

Tank is filling up as we speak.

Back