Feather Star

my understanding they are extremely difficult to care for. they require speical flow and diet to survive in an aquarium. i forgot what it was called but the flow cant be reproduced in the aquarium. they really should be left in the ocean!

Crinoids seem to require laminar flow, and I haven't really heard of a success story with them. Their diet isn't even known.

I had one slowly got smaller day by day,thn it just disappeared. Sorry to say they arent a good captive tank mate

not to undermine what others have just said...

there are SOME people that have them, but they are in very specialized tanks... and they are also pretty 'dirty' compared to the sparkling reef tanks everyone keeps.

so, NOPE, they should NOT be in tanks, etc. etc. so on and so forth!!!

An animal that's kept alive for a double-digit number of months. :) I'm not all that picky at this point. They seem to start starving immediately, and often only live into single-digit weeks, from the animals I've watched in dealers' tanks and read about.

hmmmmmmmmm!?
anyone else with further criteria or do we all agree with bertoni?
!~)

for the record i would not suggest that this animal be collected let alone attempted to be kept.

Hmm, I was being a bit facetious. If anyone really wants to try an experiment with this animal, I'd suggest starting with some research on life expectancy.

they more or less
1) do not use skimmers
2) HEAVILY feed the tank
3) keep it in the sump or refugium

think, NOT in a normal reef tank!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6304760#post6304760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sagitariuscbc
just thought of another that is really special! i have been able to keep 2 feather stars (crynoid) alive for over 2 years closer to 3. and living near the oral disc is a crab sometimes he switches which one to live with.
!~)

i really did not feel as though this was an appropriate thread to state my buisness, since it is the new to the hobby forum and one may feel as though they could do the same. bertoni and i agreed on this. sorry i had nothing to do with being quoted.

here's the full quote...
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6304760#post6304760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sagitariuscbc
just thought of another that is really special! i have been able to keep 2 feather stars (crynoid) alive for over 2 years closer to 3. and living near the oral disc is a crab sometimes he switches which one to live with.
i would not recommend anyone attempting to keep such an animal due to many reports of unfavorable outcomes. i started with 3 and 1 went down very fast as most if not all the stories report.

!~)

Last edited:
exactly

and thanks to living up to the :yea, two lived but...

the biggest asset on this site is when people admit thier mistakes!!!

Back