Feb Meeting

waynesworld

Premium Member
OK we have a place and time for the Feb meeting and it is Sunday 28th of Feb at Smyrna Jim N Nicks starting at 2:00. Here is a link.

www.jimnnicks.com/smyrna_map

All paid members and there spouse and kids will eat free. If you are not a member we ask you pay $10. We will have a buffet style setup with BBQ pork smoke chicken wings and riblets for meats. Beans, slaw and tater salad :). Tea will be provided free also and maybe soft drinks but Andy said he will buy all the :beer: Just kidding.

We will take care of the elections and have some drawings at the meeting. One will be for all members present or not. The other will be Members present. We will also have a raffle that we will sell the tickets for.

If you have any questions let me know and we will try to address any concerns. I will need a head count for people that are coming so if you are please respond to one of the post, I will try to post this on all 3 boards. You do not have to put it on all of them. I need a rough count for planning stages and will get a firm one the week before to order the food. If it is a possibility that you will come speak up.

If I renew on friday, soonest I will have money, will my wife and I not be considered payed members until after the meeting, on march 1st?

According to the by-laws, it would be March first if paid in February. AS for voting, the current board will need to determine if it is allowed.

Dang it I thought we were leaning towards a Sat meeting. Guess Im gonna miss this one too, Im on shift that day. Maybe March then.

I would think if you paid now you would be considered a member. I'm sure if the club at this point goes strictly by the by laws then the Feb meeting will only be attended by currently paid members & no new blood. It's a Reef Club you know it not the goverment or Obama admin there's no reason to be so rigid. Plus if that's the case you all might as well vote now since no one from this point on will be eligible to vote anyhow.

This is just my .02

Yeah, I dunno. At this point I am not going to renew until the last day of this month, if at all. I don't even care about the voting, I could careless who is holding office, because it is "just a reef club", it's not like any one person would actually be able to do something drastic or terrible and the club dissolving overnight, and even without the umbrella of the club the people would still be around. I am more interested in just the gathering of folks and eating and raffles and fun parts.

As far as I'm concerned if I get your dues before the meeting, you will be considered a member. Remember wives and children may become members for an extra $5 per person and then would be eligible for member drawings also. So If you mail a check to me, do it before the 23rd of Feb and if you do PayPal, do it by noon 12pm Sunday the 28th. You will then be able to eat and vote.

I hope to be able to come. I'll have to check and see what we are doing that weekend though. I'm trying to get back into the hobby. I even got two new fish today. :bounce3:

Yeah, I dunno. At this point I am not going to renew until the last day of this month, if at all. I don't even care about the voting, I could careless who is holding office, because it is "just a reef club", it's not like any one person would actually be able to do something drastic or terrible and the club dissolving overnight, and even without the umbrella of the club the people would still be around. I am more interested in just the gathering of folks and eating and raffles and fun parts.

Adrian,

I am quite surprised at this answer from you. A large part of you we do is eat and "the fun part", but we are still a club. You have benfited from "the club". Alot of the help you have gotten, from me and others, was because of "the club". Those raffels you want to do cost money, and a $1 ticket doesn't cover the cost of the items. I have seen Norman buy them many times for our meetings throughout the year because of the dues paid to "the club". The club is part of what makes that possible.

Now our by laws need some work..and there is a process to change them. the fact that no one really had access to them earlier in the year was a shame. I am sure paying this month will be fine, however since I am not a board member, I could not tell you what you wanted to hear. I could only confirm what you read was correct as per the by-laws, however I was also trying to get the board to actually give you an answer because it is an important one and only they can do anything about it.

Another aspect that I have not seen this year was something I was told the club was about..and that was the education and evangelism to the community. I like doing community things. It brings people of like minds (meaning us the hobbysits) together and helps others who might otherwise never get to enjoy the wonders of this fabulous hobby, especially in the poorer areas of the city. Tim only recently took one on himself, not as a club sponsored thing, to help a school with a tank. Bravo!!! The club should be on board like that with the community IMO. How? Well, thats for the club to decide together. So think about what you have said....these friends you would have not met if it were not for the club. Would you deny someone else that same benefit and luxury for $20.00 a year?

Now I am not meaning this in any harsh way..I just want you to think about this.

It always has been accepted to be a member for the drawings you just have to be paid we have never said you have to wait tell the next month. The bylaws have to be modified anyhow as none of the nominees are qualified to run as no one has been to 4 meetings this year :) I will take any input people have and make some changes and post them and as we vote on the BOD we will also have the changes to make. I am sorry for the people who can not make it on Sunday but it was a tie on the poll when I checked and Sunday worked out better for all the other reasons. I also want to point out that there will be 2 member drawings one you do not have to be present to win the other you do. There is always a benefit to being a member and you should get something out of it. Adrian I would have to disagree with you that one person if the wrong person was allowed could run this club into the ground if nobody cared about the voting. I understand a lot of times there are only one person to run for the office but I think we should have some choice and people should participate in the activities. I do think we have been very lucky that we have had and I think still have good candidates. But in talking to other clubs I have seen some larger then ours and smaller then ours go down hill very fast.

As far as I am concerned, and this may just be me, but I have been helped by people more so than an organization. I understand that the club can be beneficial, but I won't subscribe to the idea that without the club I would not have met or received any help from local hobbyists. Sure I have gotten a discount at local stores, but that has only been used a couple times, due to the fact that most of my stuff is used. Also, I am aware that raffles cost money, and don't disagree with the selling of tickets. I didn't like the concept behind the swap raffles, so I didn't participate, no big deal for me.

I see where you are going with the community thing, and I think the key point in that is, that the club has not done that that kind of thing, at least since I have been a member. And there have been statements made, on RC, that some would not be inclined to help out non-club members as they would a club member. To me that is a shame, because we ought to be willing to help out any hobbyist, regardless if they dropped 20 bucks for a membership card or not. They obviously would have their reason for not doing so.

I am also put off by the idea that it was presented that it was up to non-BOD members to find places near them, or to open their homes(some of us don't have the luxury of a large domicile) that would be available for holding meetings, if they wanted them to be more accessible. As far as I am concerned, it is the duty of the BOD to make the club and its events accessible to all of its members, not duty of the "constituents".

This is just how I feel, and I may be ostracizing myself from the club, or some of its clicks. I may be alone in my views, but I wager that I am not. I also don't think anyone's feelings should be hurt because of this little rant, because it is not a personal attack on anyone(it is merely dissent). Also I am GRATEFUL to all who have helped me out in my endeavors thus far.

I am also put off by the idea that it was presented that it was up to non-BOD members to find places near them, or to open their homes(some of us don't have the luxury of a large domicile) that would be available for holding meetings, if they wanted them to be more accessible. As far as I am concerned, it is the duty of the BOD to make the club and its events accessible to all of its members, not duty of the "constituents".

Just to start I am not taking this personal but I will address your comment and ask you not take it personal but to say that it is the "duty" of BOD to find places to hold meetings with out asking people to volunteer to have it at there house does not make sense. The comments that were made to people is, if they wanted a meeting to be close to there house then have it at there house. I have heard a lot of people say they have a small house that is fine that doesn't mean that you can not host one we have had them in some pretty small places, and I would not pressure anyone to have it at there house if they don't want to but that doesn't mean it is up to the BOD to find a place that is in the same town as you. I know there has been a group of people that live south of me and we never had a meeting close to them and they never say anything. I also never went to any meetings in murfreesboro the first 3-4 years I was in the club. Not until I held one at my house did that happen. I traveled to Spring hill, EB, Clarksville and all over. Really all the meetings have been accessible to all, as normally if someone wants to come and don't have the transportation normally if you post it someone in the club will help out.

Back