feeding a starry blenny

I just picked up a starry blenny today. After acclimating him and setting him free in the QT, along with two firefish, a few hours later it was feeding time.

I read that the Blenny needs dried seaweed, as well as meaty foods. For this first feeding, I went with the frozen LRS, as all my other fish eat as well. First attempt, successful! Everyone ate. :dance:

Since I only have one fish in the QT that will eat this dried seaweed, do I feed him it twice a day, once a day, or ???

Since it is only him, how much do I place in the QT? I see I can attach it to a veggie clip OR tied to a rock. If I place it in the tank, do I have to remove any uneaten seaweed after "x" minutes?

What is the procedure feeding frozen food/dried seaweed?

My starry eats Mysis with the rest of the fish. I didnt until recently add seaweed to tank and that was for the peppermint shrimp after they devoured the aptasia. Although what they dont eat my starry will eat the rest of.

As for feeding it, I tear off a small piece and rubber band it to a piece of rock. I've never gauged how quick its ate, but I leave it in the tank long enough for all 4 shrimp to have there fill and then the starry. I feed my tank at 730 at night, by the next morning the seaweed is gone.

Sorry I forgot that part. I feed thawed and strained Mysis every night. I only feed the seaweed twice a week, and I will add it at the same time as the Mysis.

Mines eat seaweed everyday, once a day along with my Tangs and Angels. He also eats NFS pellets, flakes, and most frozen food.

How long can this seaweed sit in the tank before it fouls up the water? I placed some in the tank before I left for work, this morning. Hopefully he ate it. I know he ate the frozen food I placed in the tank. I won't know about the seaweed till tonight

I doubt it will be there when you get home. I have never had it stay together very long but I have 3 tangs. But if it's there when you get home take it out before you go to bed. Put a fresh one on in the morning. I have the Julian Sprung seaweed and it seems to fall apart pretty fast. I don't mind because the fish eat it whole or as it falls apart.

well, i came home to the seaweed floating around the tank. looks like it tore away from the clip and has been floating, uneaten by the starry.

i'd hate to keep placing it in there and it going to waste. i know it's only been one day in QT, but hes eating frozen without a problem. Should I continue trying or is it not that important?

My starry is a glutton and will eat everything from pellets to brine shrimp to mysis shrimp to flake food

He is ridiculously aggressive towards my emerald crabs and tries to eat them too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well, i came home to the seaweed floating around the tank. looks like it tore away from the clip and has been floating, uneaten by the starry.

i'd hate to keep placing it in there and it going to waste. i know it's only been one day in QT, but hes eating frozen without a problem. Should I continue trying or is it not that important?

Try getting you a very small piece of live rock or pvc pipe and rubberband a piece of Nori to it and place it on the bottom of the tank. He may be still a little nervous, adjusting to his new home. As he becomes more active, begin using the clip again.

My starry is a glutton and will eat everything from pellets to brine shrimp to mysis shrimp to flake food

Mine is the same; also he is constantly eating pods and algae in the tank. In a perfect world, he would ignore the fish food I put in the tank and focus on the food he already has available to him.

In other words, he is the last fish I would ever worry about food-wise.

My starry is the same as most others have said... picks at algae on the rocks all day just like a typical lawnmower blenny, but also goes nuts when I feed the other fish and eats mysis, flake, etc.

In other words, he is the last fish I would ever worry about food-wise.

I rarely saw my blenny eat anything but algae for a couple of months after getting him. He will sometimes eat brine or mysis. I worried about him in QT b/c he would not touch seaweed & only eat frozen maybe twice a week. Once he entered the DT, he turned into an algae eating machine. All day long tearing it up on the rocks & glass.

Back