Feeding Corals

Ah_Cy

I have a 5.6 gal reef. It has 4 pounds of LR, 1 tree coral (soft coral), some small pieces of Elkhorn, a button polyp, a bunch of small polyps that look like green mushrooms (I was told they were a mushroom polyp but the mushroom polyps I have seen look nothing like these...) 1 conch, 1 turbo snail, 2 turban snails (I forget the real names of these snails), and a cleaner shrimp.

I have a problem with Cyanobacteria. I was told that this is caused by high nitrites?

I am feeding Red Sea Calcium (+3) once a week, Coralife 2X a week, and Phytoplan 2X a week. The person I got this tank from was feeding Calcium 1X a week, The Coralife ever other day, and the Phytoplan everyday.

I felt that was a little too much so I knocked the feeding down, I have had this tank for a month and it is doing good (except the cyano.)

Should I be feeding more/less or different food, Please help!

Cyano is caused by too many nutrients/ phosphates usually from overfeeding, or too much of it. The other cause is a lack of water flow.

It sounds like you are feeding the tank too often. With that size of a tank and with the corals you do have, you shouldnt have to supplement add anything. Normal water changes will do it.

I have a 90 and have LPS,SPS, softies, clam, I dont add any supplements, normal water changes keep my iodine, calcium etc right on the money.

I have 2 hanging filters (one for a 5 gallon one for a 10) so I'm pretty sure the water flow is good, I am a newbie at saltwater, I thought you had to supplement the corals.

Thank you for your answers!

The only time you should supplement is if you have alot of demanding corals that thru normal water changes wont take care of.
Your corals will do fine with normal water changes, the salt you use contains all those elements you supplement now.
I myself believe in if you cant test for it dont add.

Back