Feeding Lyretail Anthias

PhantomLoneWolf

I have three lyretail Anthias which I currently feed three times a day. I am beginning new responsibilities at work which require me to be gone from 7am to 6pm, thus I can not feed during the middle of the day (lunch time) as normal. Of course, Anthias are quite picky about what they eat and I am currently feeding a frozen food mix that I created. Does anyone have any suggestions for providing multi feeding to Anthias while away from home during the day.
Thanks

I have one fairly large male Lyretail. I only feed him once a day and he is super healthy. I feed a pretty decent amount of a homemade mixture of food. If I'm home during the day sometimes i will feed the tank twice but 95% of the time it's only once a day.

I have three Lyretails, 2 small females and 1 larger, in a 125 gallon and they get fed once a day everyday, twice a day every other day. I feed a mix of frozen mysis, trigger formula, and Formula 2. They will not eat flakes or pellets, so I can't feed with an automated feeder. They've been doing fine with this feeding pattern for about four months now.

I appreciate the comments. Even with my current 3x per day feedings, I haven't seen their stomachs as nicely rounded as I would like. My other fish look like little piggies with the 3x per day feedings. I have coral food also added to my homemade frozen food mix and they are growing and have intense color and polyp extension. So I'm concerned about going to 1x a day, mainly cause of the Lyretails. I wish they would eat flakes or pellets and could use a feeder. Make things much easies for sure.

Joshz400 - what do you put in your homemade mix, if you don't mind sharing?

Have you tried weaning them onto dry foods. If you soak some flake or pellets in the brine/mysis juice they sometimes begin to eat it. Then all you need to do is slowly increase the amount of dry food until its mostly that. then you can use your auto feeder.
It takes a little work but some of the nicest anthias i've seen have been fed this way 8-10 times a day.

Have you tried weaning them onto dry foods. If you soak some flake or pellets in the brine/mysis juice they sometimes begin to eat it. Then all you need to do is slowly increase the amount of dry food until its mostly that. then you can use your auto feeder.
It takes a little work but some of the nicest anthias i've seen have been fed this way 8-10 times a day.

I've noticed that my Anthias will only eat very small pieces of food. Do you recommend crushing up the pellets and flake. What is your suggestion there.

I've noticed that my Anthias will only eat very small pieces of food. Do you recommend crushing up the pellets and flake. What is your suggestion there.

You can try the .5mm spectrum pellets. Mines eat everything and they're usually fat when I feed them 2-3x per day. I do notice when I feed them once a day, they become a bit skinny.

You can try the .5mm spectrum pellets. Mines eat everything and they're usually fat when I feed them 2-3x per day. I do notice when I feed them once a day, they become a bit skinny.

I have those pellets, so I am going to try and convert them. Then I'll be able to use a feeder during the day and feed frozen in the evening when home.

Does soaking the pellets in garlic juice entice the Anthias to eat them? Soaking them in Mysis or Brine juice is a great idea.

Any recommendations on auto feeders.

I have those pellets, so I am going to try and convert them. Then I'll be able to use a feeder during the day and feed frozen in the evening when home.

Does soaking the pellets in garlic juice entice the Anthias to eat them? Soaking them in Mysis or Brine juice is a great idea.

Any recommendations on auto feeders.

Try garlic but sometimes they just won't eat pellets. It's also best to try feeding pellets in the morning when they're hungry. I don't use a auto feeder so no recommendation. I didn't have to use garlic on mines, they just moved onto pellets after mysis/brine and then to flakes.

Back