Few technical questions for my BIG tank project.

schabiazabi

I'm in the phase of pre research for my big tank. I want something north of 2000G (reef). So for now I want to find out all of my limitations before I start to design my project. I'm in the discovery mode, and I would like to find out the following:

1. What is the longest, or biggest sheet of glass that can be produced (global is fine as I do not mind importing it). I heard 130inch is the longest, but the person was not sure about the height. My goal is to have a 16 feet long tank in a straight line (no joining), so the 130 inch limitation threw me off. Is this correct?

2. What is the proper amount of fish weight/length per 10 gallons these days? My fish are very well fed 2 times per day + one algae feeding. Total of 3. My goal is to keep Nitrate at 0 with 30 day water changes. As of now I'm able to keep Nitrate at 0 without a skimmer (natural system with deep sand bad) with 1 inch of small fish per 10 gallons. I'm not sure if I can up to 2inch per 10 gallons as I do not have the time to retest all scenarios.

3. What kind of lights would I need in order to support all types of reef (sps, lps, clams, etc) int a 6 feet deep tank?

4. Are there any "new" things to consider when building a tank of that size (2000-3000g)? I know cleaning will be challenging, but the rest seems just bigger, or more comparing to my 400g system. I'm also aware of the evaporation and humidity.

I want to add that I'm not that new to the hobby. Currently I have a 400g system that is fish only. On top of that I have a 55G reef (LPS) tank. I read The Reef Aquarium by J.S. :) and others, so I do know some stuff.

Please shine some light if you can on my questions. The question with the length of the glass is the most important to me as that's a game changer.

Large Reef Tanks Forum may help you more. I would love to have a tank that size but $ or lack thereof prevents that. The folks in that forum have gigantic tanks and I am sure you'll find more help and guidance there.

Back