Fighting Conchs-Experiences?

shiveley

Does anyone here have any experience with these? Good/Bad?
I was thinking about getting one to help clean the sandbed in one of my tanks. just wondering how "reef-safe" they are...

They are absolutely reef-safe IMO. They do a pretty good job keeping the top layer turned over. Bloodmouth Conchs are my favorite because they bury a lot deeper into the sand, but they are harder to come by.

I've been thinking about adding a fighting conch. I have a queen conch. It does a real good job at eating algae. PLUS... it's still alive even with my dirty crabs eating up my snails in the tank.

Yeah, I've always wondered about them because they're pretty cool looking, but I had always heard mixed reviews. I saw them at Exotic today for $3.99, they seem to have quite a few of them. Most of them are just over an inch long, with some a being a bit longer. I just might have to grab one...

that's a pretty good deal for 3.99 I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

Jay

is there anyway to stop hermits from killing snails? don't they do it for the shells? so if i stick a bunch of empty shells in there and keep them well fed will they leave snails alone?
i don't wanna spend $14+ on a conch only for it to be crabfood

sounds like you have the wrong kind of crabs. I have scarlets and mexican red legs and they've never killed a snail.

I've seen blue-legged crabs kills snails, and that's why I don't use those. but I've never had a problem with any of the crabs that I have now, and I've got a ton of snails in my tanks.

i've got one when i first started my tank. kept my sandbed very clean until i decided to take out the sandbed and gave away the conch. it liked to crawl around the glass eating diatom. i've never seen it burrow, not even once. but they are a great choice for keeping sandbed clean

Back