Filling my 150 gallon tank right now after resealing it....

TURKLET0N

Filling it and hoping for no cracks or leaks. What's the shortest amount of time to let the tank sit with water before removing it all to actually put in saltwater?

When you say resealing it? Did you take it apart or just peal the sealant from the inside of tank and put it back?

Just the inside of the tank. I did not take the glass apart. I did buy a corner overflow and I sealed that as well. I almost have the tank entirely full all the way up to where Water will go into the overflow. The only leak that I have is a tiny pin needle all the way at the bottom where it is leaking into the overflow. It's almost nonexistent but is still there. By the time the water came up to the top of the overflow there was less than a spoon full of water that leaked. Is that something to worry about since the sand will end up covering that portion up? Doesn't matter if a tiny bit of water gets into the overflow at the bottom?

Last edited:
To be honest, Dont know if it worth it to take a chance. Buying a new tank is pricey but the peace of mind is well worth it. Just my thoughts. Just imaged right at the wrong time it springs a leak....Yes I know there no guarantee....

If you just sealed the outside of the overflow you may be able to seal the area or whole overflow on the inside as well. Thats at least what I'd try unless space is limited or really tight.

I think fixing the pinhole makes sense - if you ever having a plumbing issue, you just want it to empty your overflow, not your entire tank.

Def fix the pin hole leak. How long did u let it sit dry before filling it? I bought a custom tank for a guy and it was built on 6/20. They had paper all over it saying that void warranty it filled before 7/20. I know that's a whole new tank and that u didn't remove the glass and start fresh. I also realize that most silicones say they r good to go after 48 hrs. Just thought I would point out that exsperiance I ran into. Other then this tank I have never seen such a long cure time

Roger

I fixed it. It sat for four days and was cured. I siliconed the tank itself and the next day I siliconed the overflow. It leaked at one spot where the silicone from the overflow was touching the silicone from the tank.

Fwiw both tanks that I resealed , sat for a month before seeing water. But as said above the sealant said 48 hours. Just my extra precautionary method lol.

Back