Filter floss turned red.

I’ve used some filter floss in the back compartment of my 15 g. Today I removed to find it had turned bright red. Now when a poly-bio marine turns red it means there is aluminum in the water. I’ve placed some poly-bio in the sump and I will check on
It later tomorrow.

I wonder if simple filter floss can take up aluminum??? :headwally:

Also today I decided to take out my Tunze nano pump as I’ve noticed rust around the magnet. It’s been near the filter floss. This has gone on since middle last year. Totally different issue I think. Rust and red are two different colors.

I’ve been able to use my tap until recently. I noticed alkalinity had gone off the charts. I fixed this with Acid Buffer from Seachem . Could it cause a chemical reaction causing the red color? I think I have no choice but to do distilled water because I cannot install a RO/DI and it’s common for the water municipality to add aluminum according to my reading. :reading:

My best guess is the aluminum. Is there a lack of water pressure stopping you from using an RODI? I've had good luck just filling top-off in buckets without worrying about an installation.

I’ve always used RO/DI until now. This is not my house so hooking up one cannot happen. Everywhere I looked for distilled water it was all sold out… meaning a lot of aquarist have gone this route.

Nothing has been added into this tank for months. Suddenly it looks like my clown goby has velvet. My shrimp came down with something like black gill disease. Its disheartening.

In some cases, aquarists have reported the coincidence of elevated aluminum readings and the use of some types of super high volume bricks and blocks in their sumps.
I keep the level minimized through water change.

Tap water use is highly debated, as the “what’s in that water” varies so much.

Even very tiny amounts of pollutants and oxidizers can build up over time, and without removing them in some way may reach a point whereas stuff suffers.

RODI pushing 0 TDS gives me the confidence I “know” what’s in my water before adding salt.

I have a 180g and it’s serviced by a simple GeekPure Amazon RODI Portable unit.
Attach to the faucet, make some water, put it away.

Last edited:
I’ve used some filter floss in the back compartment of my 15 g. Today I removed to find it had turned bright red. Now when a poly-bio marine turns red it means there is aluminum in the water. I’ve placed some poly-bio in the sump and I will check on
It later tomorrow.

I wonder if simple filter floss can take up aluminum??? :headwally:

Also today I decided to take out my Tunze nano pump as I’ve noticed rust around the magnet. It’s been near the filter floss. This has gone on since middle last year. Totally different issue I think. Rust and red are two different colors.

I’ve been able to use my tap until recently. I noticed alkalinity had gone off the charts. I fixed this with Acid Buffer from Seachem . Could it cause a chemical reaction causing the red color? I think I have no choice but to do distilled water because I cannot install a RO/DI and it’s common for the water municipality to add aluminum according to my reading. :reading:

Do you have access to a laundry sink for a couple hours to make jugs of rodi water? I use an adapter to screw onto the sink faucet. You have to watch with distilled and know what method they are using. Some use copper piping and may elevated copper levels.

I can’t even get distilled water. It’s all sold out now. Probably an indicator folks realized the aluminum additions. Using regular purified water. But I checked into the Walmart distilled brand before buying some. I‘ll try both outside and laundry and see which has best fit once I get the unit.

I can’t even get distilled water. It’s all sold out now. Probably an indicator folks realized the aluminum additions. Using regular purified water. But I checked into the Walmart distilled brand before buying some. I‘ll try both outside and laundry and see which has best fit once I get the unit.
I picked up these adapters last month to hook up 1/4 line to outside faucet or laundry sink faucet. Got them from home depot.

Attachments

• 20220420_105146.jpg
    20220420_105146.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Thanks for the links. The unit I’m getting comes with adapters but they are plastic. So I looked at my poly-bio marine today after a few water changes with bottled water and it’s back to pink. I have a cheap UV next to it. I see nothing seeping out of it. But I decided to remove it. Suspicious. I also use GFO.

Attachments

• BBA04B97-FB95-4B92-8192-02646D2DEE23.jpeg
    BBA04B97-FB95-4B92-8192-02646D2DEE23.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 9AA05D41-B0C6-4304-A5B2-731494628BD3.jpeg
    9AA05D41-B0C6-4304-A5B2-731494628BD3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
I think I have the answer! I just rubbed this piece of poly-bio inside of the ROWA phos container. It’s pink! Now all this time I thought GFO would show as a rusty color in the pad.

Attachments

• BB5E4979-A9F3-475C-BA0F-493837525A30.jpeg
    BB5E4979-A9F3-475C-BA0F-493837525A30.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Back