Filter Sock in Sump?

Patrick Cox

I am looking for input on whether or not a filter sock is recommended for use in a Reef Sump. My current sump is not designed to be used with a filter sock and therefore I don't currently use one. However I seem to be accumulating detritus in my sump and I am worried this is one of the contributing factors to my high phosphate levels. My sump builder does not recommend them and that is why my current sump does not accomodate a filter sock. Also, should I be worried about accumulating detritus in my sump?

Thanks for your input

i have always used one. my sump doesn't have a holder, i just tie them on the return pipe. also once a month i take my turkey baster and blow all the build up off the rocks and it makes quite a mess in the water and in just a few minutes it is all collected in the filter sock.

i change mine out 2 times a week to make sure i am not letting food rot in it or anything like that.

I use two mesh type socks, and change them out about once a week. I clean them by running them under tap water, while rubbing them between my hands. Once all the solid debris has been removed, I soak them for a few days in a water/bleach mix, and then allow them to dry, and re-use on the next cycle. I've found that if you keep a couple of marbles in the sock, it will keep them from floating. You can get both the hang on holder and socks at BRS.

I use a 200 um filter sock only when I blast the rocks or otherwise do maintenance that puts a lot of stuff in the water column. I remove it the next day and rinse it. I wash a few once a month or so in the washer w/ just bleach. I don't use them on a daily basis. I have a spot in the sump where detritus settles. I just suck it out with a power head during weekly water changes.

I have used one for the past 10 years or so. Before that I only used the blue bond filter pad. I noticed that once I went to a filter sock I was able to remove a lot more detrius than before and my nitrate and phosphate levels decreased. I would recommend using one. Like 96slowbra stated, you do not have to have a sophisticated holder, you just have to tie it up with the mouth of it below the top level of your sump so you do not get water splashing out of it and out of your sump if you neglect to change it often enough.

Socks are a great way to remove detritus...On my 675g system I change an XL sock EVERY day, to remove as much as possible, as soon as possible!

I've never found the need to run a filter sock 24/7, even if they are being replaced on a regular basis. I do however use one for a short period of time to polish the water during a water change though, but that's about it. (3 hours a week maybe) My sump is also cleaned during this time, so detritus never really gets a chance to accumulate.

I've used them and I don't have a sump designed to hold one either. I also clean mine by running them through the washing machine with no detergent. Works like a charm.

I've used them for many years. If you do decide to use a sock, it is important to clean them every 4 days or they will start to produce nitrates. I keep two socks and rotate through them, cleaning them by turning them inside out and the blasting it with a garden hose and then hanging out to dry. Every few months I bleach them and run them without soap through the washing machine.

I use them. I have four and cycle through them until I have 3 that need to be washed, I put them in the washer w/ no detergent and hot water. I love them because there is no detritus in my tank at all. To attach them, I put a hole in the side of my sump near the top and just tie them on and put the drain hoses in. Works great.

OK, you all have sold me. Where is a good place to buy them? Any online place or is it a specialty item? Are there different types?

Back